TPMS accuracy

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
NG1
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by NG1 »

Thank you everyone. This has been really helpful.

hydrolift
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by hydrolift »

@NG1

I have the same "problem". Did you measure your tire pressure with your Draper gauge? Was the TPMS reading correct?

BR
/Olof
1.2 Dig-T, 2018 Unique Edition
Lusky
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Lusky »

So here's a question. If forecourts aren't accurate should one allow for this? As an example my rears are supposed to be 2.1 bar. According to good old Sainsburys inflation machine (other supermarkets are avIlable) they are. However TPMS says they are only 2.0 bar. Therefore should the sainsburys inflator be set at 2.2 bar?
2015 QASHQAI N-TEC + DIG-T 5 DOOR HATCHBACK PETROL. BLUE.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

If you have any concerns its best to use a good quality tyre pressure gauge.

I have an older version of this that has served me very well for many years. https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-led-digital-tyre-pressure-gauge

Lusky wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:33 pm So here's a question. If forecourts aren't accurate should one allow for this? As an example my rears are supposed to be 2.1 bar. According to good old Sainsburys inflation machine (other supermarkets are avIlable) they are. However TPMS says they are only 2.0 bar. Therefore should the sainsburys inflator be set at 2.2 bar?
Lusky

Post by Lusky »

Daewar, I have seen several people suggesting this, good idea but seems like a lot of faffing. Its bad enough as it is topping up the tyres when there is a queue the length of China waiting to use the one solitary machine lol. What's the worst that could happen if i topped up to 2.2 bar in the hope it compensated and actually became 2.1 bar.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I don't like most petrol forecourt places and surrounds. Certainly don't trust those air pumps. Just want to arrive...fill....out PDQ. Sticking coins in things is crap as well.

So I got the Vertex tyre pump 4 years back - Heavy Duty Mini Air Compressor 12v at about £50. Similar to the current Sealy type. The gauge on it is seriously inaccurate. About 4 to 5 psi high and always has been. The pump is good but screwing onto the schrader valve is awful. WD40 relieves it...a bit.

Also got the Michelin pocket digital pressure gauge for £10 and that and TPMS are in agreement. No need to pump and run...waiting for TPMS
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi Lucky,

It's not so much about having a little to much or to little air, it's about knowing acuratly what the pressure is. From this point you can then decide how much your happy to run under or over pressure.

The great thing about putting in a bit to much air is that it's easy to reduce later on which is what I always do. I then use the pressure gauge to drop the pressure accordingly.

Your also meant to check tyre pressures cold. driving will warm your tyres up and potentially give you an inacurate pressure. This is where having your own pump becomes a win win. You can also use it for other things like pumping up a football etc.

[quqote=Lusky post_id=69747 time=1568534632 user_id=9576]
Daewar, I have seen several people suggesting this, good idea but seems like a lot of faffing. Its bad enough as it is topping up the tyres when there is a queue the length of China waiting to use the one solitary machine lol. What's the worst that could happen if i topped up to 2.2 bar in the hope it compensated and actually became 2.1 bar.
[/quote]
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Get a decent pressure gauge and a cheap foot pump (about £7 at Halfords) - it’s easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Lusky

Post by Lusky »

Hi Mike a foot pump ? Next you will be telling me to put pen to paper rather than send an email. Just want to rock up, top up and drive away lol. Will try 2.2 tomorrow and see what happens, can always let out some air (just like the missus)
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

Daewar wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:27 pm
Your also meant to check tyre pressures cold. driving will warm your tyres up and potentially give you an inacurate pressure.
This is precisely my concern with TPMS. If you put say, 33psi in when cold by the time your tyres are warm, the TPMS will then read 34 or 35psi.

So does this mean my tyres are overinflated ? Or should I put less in knowing it will increase when they get warm ?
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI