Start/stop issues

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Brigg72
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Brigg72 »

Hi

I have just bought a 2019 qashqai, n-connecta 1.3 140 ps. I only took delivery yesterday. I have only managed to use the stop/start function once, after a 10 mile journey, on any short journey i.e. in stop start town traffic it doesn't work. I have read the manual and have it switched on properly. Any advise would be appreciated. I had a Ford Galaxy hire car recently, and that start/stop system worked Everytime on all journeys.

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Brigg, firstly Welcome to the Forum ! Now this “Stop / Start” System has always been touchy sometimes it works sometimes not mostly Battery related. If you enter in the “Search” Area “Battery Function with Stop Start” you should get most of the posts related to your question, give it a try but it’s a long read - Dave 😃
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Damn...wish I had one that didn't work Dave. Do I have to knacker the battery to get there?

Not expecting a new car to have a battery problem so early...but anything can go? Get onto the dealer PDQ I'd say.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

I've just written this on another topic:

The fact mine hardly ever worked was one of the reasons for selling my car. I'd often turned the engine off at traffic lights with my previous two cars (both Fabia vRS). I battled the Nissan dealer but despite a new battery the situation didn't improve. Stop/start would only start operating after driving a long way. I called it the "out of county S/S" - and of course that's useless in normal trips into town. I'm fully convinced that the electronic systems weren't charging the battery properly but the dealer refused to accept it as being faulty.

The system in my present car works almost all the time (it needs about 100m travel before operating) and it has NEVER stopped the engine when I wasn't expecting it. In fact the Suzuki system is superior to the Qashqai one in (a) stopping the engine BEFORE you get to a halt - it just needs to be below 10mph and the brakes have never been an issue, (b) being adjustable to three settings depending on how much you want the AC to keep working - I have it set to economy and when stopped the fan speed reduces to save battery, and (c) better integration with the engine - the car literally just starts when you depress the clutch without any jerking or delay.

Looks like you might be set for a battle! I failed...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The way we can consider the S/S function is like this.

When S/S is ON the system is defaulted to stop the engine at the right time. So what conditions will prevent engine OFF.They are in the handbook I believe...not shown like this of course:

Some conditions that the S/S system votes on..meaning here to not stop the engine: (the following is not absolute)

Aircon ON
Wipers ON
Headlights ON
Speed...rolling
Gear...selected
Clutch.....depressed
Brakes...system needs to know what state Gear and Clutch is in?
May be more?
S/S Fault

In general:
Each of the above are logic inputs to the S/S system. They are processed by computational AND/OR/NOR logic circuits. An incorrect input or logic sequence as with a lot of the cars electronics, should flag an error to the user and in most cases disable the affected system for safety reasons.

I can easily stall the engine if S/S gets a grip...hardly at all if I can remember to knock it off.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Some of those are "either/or" and some are "sometimes".

For example the engine WILL start if the clutch is depressed or if the car starts moving, but the aircon CAN be on with the engine stopped. I'd suggest that the same is true of the wipers and headlights too.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

gloucester wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:06 pm Some of those are "either/or" and some are "sometimes".

For example the engine WILL start if the clutch is depressed or if the car starts moving, but the aircon CAN be on with the engine stopped. I'd suggest that the same is true of the wipers and headlights too.
Too complicated for me. Don't want any of it happening...ever.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Brigg72 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:38 pm Hi

I have just bought a 2019 qashqai, n-connecta 1.3 140 ps. I only took delivery yesterday. I have only managed to use the stop/start function once, after a 10 mile journey, on any short journey i.e. in stop start town traffic it doesn't work. I have read the manual and have it switched on properly. Any advise would be appreciated. I had a Ford Galaxy hire car recently, and that start/stop system worked Everytime on all journeys.
Mine took a few hundred miles (~500) before it started working regularly
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

My start stop activated yesterday it’s the first time for at least two and a half years. I wonder what woke it up?
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

PJB729 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 am My start stop activated yesterday it’s the first time for at least two and a half years. I wonder what woke it up?
Sorry to hear the bad news? Possibly one of the input conditions that invokes engine stop revived. Battery condition being one.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta