Tyre recommendation

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

That is what I always thought for FWD, I have read several articles with the same opinion, take a look at this for interest - Dave 🙂

Better tyres for rear or front : https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/better-tyres-in-the-front-or-rear-test-results
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Thanks Dave.

I guess walking into a Black Circles (or ATS or Kwik Fit, etc.) and saying "replace those worn tyres with these new ones" absolves them from any responsibility because they are acting on my instructions
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

MikeGC wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 am Thanks Dave.

I guess walking into a Black Circles (or ATS or Kwik Fit, etc.) and saying "replace those worn tyres with these new ones" absolves them from any responsibility because they are acting on my instructions
And swap them across the axle line except rain tyres...as required. Nobody argues

Actually, looking at Daves link (openeo) and reading some of it, this subject looks to be going nowhere regarding handy useful advice.

My View:
Heavy rear wheel drive cars can easily rear slip (BMW/VW/Porsche) and I certainly know that.
Heavy front wheel drive cars have always been touted as best for cornering and so on.. as I understood it. Wear is understandably faster.
Conditions are indeed very variable...so watch out.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Take a look at this simple video and a comment from the AA - Dave 😁

Advice and guidance on car tyres : https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/car-tyres
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

After much discussion...

Conclusion - To give the best possibilities of a vehicle handling safely when fitting new tyres to a vehicle in pairs, it is advisable to fit the new tyres to the rear axle.

https://www.edentyres.com/should-i-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

Front or Rear?

Here at Eden Tyres, we recommend that the newest tyres should be fitted to the rear of your vehicle. This is because, generally, rear wheels are not controlled by your steering wheel (unless your car is rear wheel drive), making it more difficult to control their grip while driving.

Having your new or least worn tyres at the rear of the vehicle ensures the greatest amount of control and security while you are driving, particularly in wet weather. Good tread depth is essential for grip, so new tyres at the rear is going to ensure the best possible grip.

Not only is this important for wet weather – even on a dry day, there are going to be moments in your drive which require good road holding, such as braking suddenly or taking a sharp turn.

If the front tyres need replacing:

If you are replacing front tyres, we recommend moving your rear tyres to the front, in order to keep the new tyres at the rear. However, we would also recommend never to drive on tyres if they are too worn; while they might meet the legal requirements, it’s important to stay on the safe side as they are the main protection between you and the road!

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-rotation

... at Kwik Fit we do not recommend tyre rotation and we do recommend fitting your best tyres at the rear of the vehicle. If you are replacing a single tyre then this should be paired at the rear with the tyre having the most tread depth.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3121/6-common-tire-myths-debunked-10031440/

6 Common Tire Myths Debunked

2. When replacing only two tires, the new ones go on the front.

The truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!"

There is no "even if" to this one. Whether you own a front-, rear- or all-wheel-drive car, truck, or SUV, the tires with the most tread go on the rear.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
tophat57

Post by tophat57 »

To save some confusion, my vehicle is a lease. So I have (or thought I had) no choice in replacements. Apart from the fact that I went in for a single tyre repair or replacement, and came out with one repair at the rear and two replacements on the front.

That said, I'm with most other people on here. The front wheels are responsible for stearing and drive delivery to the road and breaking. So as far as I'm concerned the front gets the new tyres, not swapping a now odd pair of rears (or even a matched pair) that are worn onto the front, and putting new tyres on the back to essentially do nothing more than be dragged around by the front end.

My personal experience bears this out, as the car now drives as it should and did before those crappy Yokohama 'Geolandars' were fitted. And i don't see how 22k miles could have worn out a pair of tyres. I'm no boy racer, but I'm not driving Miss Daisy either. And I know what MY car should feel like, and that feeling is Michelin.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

tophat57 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:24 pm
... i don't see how 22k miles could have worn out a pair of tyres. I'm no boy racer, but I'm not driving Miss Daisy either.
I had a new set at about 15,000 miles...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Foffer
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Foffer »

MikeGC wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:31 am
gloucester wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:42 pm You should always put the new tyres on the BACK - otherwise you risk handling problems. Kwik Fit were negligent!
wow, in 47 years driving I've never heard that before

When I've had worn front tyres replaced the new tyres went on the front.
In the most recent cases (above) of purchasing the Avon tyres this actually was putting the "grippier" tyres on the front, so.....
I have heard this although I would want new tyres on the front. I think the thinking is that more drivers stand a chance of recovering from loss of control at the front rather than the back. Loose the back end and unless you know what you are doing you have spun and off into the scenery....
Current car: 2021 Qashqai Tekna+ DIG-T MHEV CVT
Previous car: 2019 Qashqai Tekna+ 1.3 DIG-T 160 DCT
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

Front tyres normally wear quicker than the in-line rear tyres, steering creates more directional wear on front tyres. Best tyres always on front.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I don't think there is a one rule fits all on this topic although manufacturers advise new tread to rears....Continental does. Which once went with a recommendation to rotate them around so as to keep wear similar.

The dynamics in any situation are fairly complex and ordinary drivers won't be able to compensate adequately....usually. That with cheaper electronics brought the vehicle stability devices...Gyro/ABS/Speed sensors.

FWD have always been advertised as the better configuration for driving....sporty stuff? And as such burns through tyres fairly quickly leaving rears looking good. So, to maintain good steering/traction I'd say the front tyres need to be the best tread on FWD cars.

RWD does have a large/dead weight at the rear (Diff etc) so would indicate that a better tread needs to be at the rear.

Since tyres are very much safety related it would be helpful to remove the taxes from them. oh...silly!
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta