Seat goes backwards into passengers legs!

Bodywork & Interior problems
Foffer
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Foffer »

I like the feature on my driver's memory seat which moves it right back automatically when I'm about to get out. However, the first time I had a rear seat passenger it wasn't so nice for them when my seat powered into their legs making it difficult for them to get out!

I have looked in the manual but can't see a way to temporarily stop this happening, so at present I can't see any other option but to make sure I let them get out first.

I realise that I can deselect this option, but I don't want to stop it permanently, just temporarily. Does anyone know a way?
Current car: 2021 Qashqai Tekna+ DIG-T MHEV CVT
Previous car: 2019 Qashqai Tekna+ 1.3 DIG-T 160 DCT

phatboy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by phatboy »

Does simply tapping one of the electrical seat adjusting controls not halt it?!
2018 Qashqai Tekna + DCT Dig-T 160
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

The wording in the manual is:

ENTRY/EXIT FUNCTION (Automatic
Transmission Vehicle only)
This system is designed so that the driver's seat will
automatically move when the shift lever is in the P
(Park) position. This allows the driver to get into and
out of the driver's seat more easily.
Operation
The driver's seat will slide backward:
• When the driver's door is opened and the ignition
is in the OFF position.
• When the ignition is switched from the ACC to
the OFF position with the driver's door open.
The driver's seat will return to the previous position:
• When the ignition is placed in the ACC or ON position
while the shift lever is in the P (Park) position.
NOTE
The driver's seat will not return to the previous
position if the seat switch is operated when the
seat is at the exit position.
The entry/exit function can be adjusted or cancelled
through the vehicle settings in the vehicle information
display by performing the following:
• Switch the Exit Seat Slide from ON to OFF

I'm not sure what the word "adjusted" means there - is there something more than simply on or off?

Certainly there appears to be no suggestion that if the seat occupied detector is activated the seat either won't go back or won't go back as far.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Foffer

Post by Foffer »

Thanks phatboy, I'll try that.

Thanks gloucester, a very complete reminder of what's in the manual. I agree about "adjusted", not sure what that means. Your suggestion about the rear seat occupied switch looks like the way to go. This could be a condition in the program, "the seat will only go back if the seat behind is not occupied".
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

There should be a sensor(s) under the rear seats I suspect. Its the same type as under the drivers seat which won't allow the car to start with no driver (weight) on the seat. Common to many cars. I call the signal ar*se_on_seat.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Foffer

Post by Foffer »

calnorth wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:34 pm There should be a sensor(s) under the rear seats I suspect. Its the same type as under the drivers seat which won't allow the car to start with no driver (weight) on the seat. Common to many cars. I call the signal ar*se_on_seat.
calnorth, there are indeed three sensors on the rear seats. These show on the dash and indicate whether passengers have put their seat belts on. I would have thought it would be a simple program mod to use the rear right hand and/or rear central "occupied" signals as discussed.
Gerry Kent

Post by Gerry Kent »

In the ‘Vehicle Settings’ menu there is an option to turn the seat slide off. It’s under driving position. It is turned on by default.
1.5 dci Tekna+ 69 plate.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Gerry - note he said "I realise that I can deselect this option, but I don't want to stop it permanently, just temporarily. Does anyone know a way?"
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Gerry Kent

Post by Gerry Kent »

Gloucester - My apologies for not reading it correctly. I haven’t found a way other than to disable it in the settings, I don’t have the seat very far forward in my case so don’t tend to use it often.

It only works when you put it in park, so if left in neutral with the handbrake on while the passengers exit and then place it in park might be a solution? I can’t try it at the moment but will when I can.
1.5 dci Tekna+ 69 plate.
Foffer

Post by Foffer »

Gerry Kent wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:56 pm Gloucester - My apologies for not reading it correctly. I haven’t found a way other than to disable it in the settings, I don’t have the seat very far forward in my case so don’t tend to use it often.

It only works when you put it in park, so if left in neutral with the handbrake on while the passengers exit and then place it in park might be a solution? I can’t try it at the moment but will when I can.
Thanks Gerry, I like the neutral idea. We don't often have back seat passengers but that could be a solution, thanks!