Ways to protect our qashqai

ICE, Equipment, Options
pacojones
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by pacojones »

Hi all,

Im assisting to several qashqais being stolen, I d like to know which are the best solutions you guys are using or recommend.

Im thinking on buying a locator to put in the car and a box to isolate the key signal, is there anything else or another recommendation?

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Pacojones, the subject of car theft presentation can get complex and can be a cheap or an expensive option. I still keep thinking about buying an Electronic System, but I bought the newest Steering Wheel Krooklock for our J11A which naturally is now used on our J11B. On the New QQ with Nissan Connect “Door To Door” you will find that this does follow the route of your QQ, now whether this would help to find the QQ location if stolen I am not sure. Anyway here are a few previous examples which might be worth a read, there are even more under “Search” - Good Luck Dave 😊 or Buy a Big Dog ! 😂

08281697-C23B-4E56-995D-F10E1A737202.jpeg

7B63748E-6191-484F-9210-834F5F05966F.jpeg

Steering Wheel Locks - Nissan QashQai Forums : viewtopic.php?t=7949

Keyless Protector - Nissan QashQai Forums : viewtopic.php?t=7992
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Apart from removing the Battery I suspect pulling a fuse or two would disable enough...not looked into it though. Candidates:

Starter Motor
IPDM (intelligent power distribution module)

There was a transportation link which I think disables the ignition or something....?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The Faraday cage idea is best, cheap and effective. There are other things like ghost https://www.autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu, but its not cheap
pacojones wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:10 pm Hi all,

Im assisting to several qashqais being stolen, I d like to know which are the best solutions you guys are using or recommend.

Im thinking on buying a locator to put in the car and a box to isolate the key signal, is there anything else or another recommendation?
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

When I was young and good looking I had a few Minis that were prown to being “Nicked” because of the Faulty Window Catch on the Sliding Windows and just a sharp knock on the Door Handle to break it. Had mine broken into several times, but never stolen as such as I used to buy a simple “On / Off” Switch and install it on the Coil (would not start) & Fuel Pump and it worked as the Minis were often found sitting in the road without any juice.
Now weather this sort of Cheap Trick can still be setup on these “Electronic” cars I am not sure, over to you Colin any comments ! - Dave 😊
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Not thought much about it Dave. Although pulling fuses in the IPDM box is tempting and likely easiest. The target would be Starter Motor and/or Fuel Pump.

On the subject of the Keyless function ...my correspondent in the Cotswolds informs with a review of the 992 version of Porsche 911. Launched in 2019. Goto 6 mins in for a requirement from Porsche as regards having keyless installed:

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

I bought an Isuzu Trooper when I lived in the USA back in the 90's and fitted a push to make push to break switch in the clutch start circuit (you had to press the clutch before the car would start). This was a hidden switch in the air conditioning trunking under the steering wheel, Very cheap and never gonna be found. This can be achieved on the Qashqai but the UK model has a twin circuit that allows the clutch OR the brake pedal to be pressed before the car will start. The clutch circuit is fused in the box behind the glove box so this is easy to intercept. I can't find a fuse for the brake circuit but the switch on the brake pedal assembly can be popped easily out of the mounting bracket so this circuit can be totally disabled and re enabled quickly should you take the car in for servicing. I haven't gotten round to doing this yet, Another alternative is to interrupt the starter circuit close to the starter button, I haven't tried to get the button out yet, not sure how easy this is if anybody has tried?
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
David56

Post by David56 »

The best and most effective deterrent I have seen is as used on James Bond's Lotus in 'For Your Eyes Only'
Qashqai 1.3 auto 160bhp Tekna plus in Vivid Blue.
Now gone after 10 months from new.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Yep...there were times when I could park an MGA and take the steering wheel off. But, I've seen the crooks resupply a depleted car and that was Lagos, Nigeria. We'd take the Carb or similar off, only for the crooks to resupply the part later having watched us do it...plus they were openly heavily armed.

My QQ is still under warranty so I can't really disruptively attack the problem. However, from the J11b Starter Cct diags there appears to be a master 30A fuse available for a pull? Suspect its in the engine compartment Fuse Box? Whether pulling that creates a problem I'm not sure...diagram is likely wrong. Theres also the Clutch Interlock 5A fuse....wherever that is?

See page STR-10 and system description prior.

The Starter Relay isn't the main contactor on the Starter Body..fortunately!

Screenshot from 2020-04-30 09-56-10.png

STR+-+STARTING+SYSTEM.pdf
(554.28 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta