Help Please - P0136 O2 Sensor location

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Eduardo71 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:56 am Hello, sorry for my bad language.

Anyone solved this problem, and can help

I’m also have have fault code P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2.
But when using diagnostic i trying reach voltages of two sensors, they both giving wide range voltage 0

Tried disconnecting the sensor and clean it. When I disconnected computer generating another fault
P0141 o2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1 sensor 2), but when I connect, this fault disappears. So, I think heater working properly.
But P0136 (O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2), after some driving, come backs.

So, can I expect, that when I change Bank 1 Sensor 2, problem can be fixed ?
You cannot easily measure the signal voltage of the O2 sensor with a test meter. You will need to change the sensor to find out.

How many Kms has this car done?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Eduardo71

Post by Eduardo71 »

I tried use a obd2 cable and two different softwares to reach voltages, adding photos
Car mielage is 58000 km.
Engine 1.6 diesel (96kw)

Readed many forums, and some people changhed this o2 sensor, but fault P0136 come back quickly. So really don't know, what to do now.
The o2 connector looks fine and clean.

P.S

Car runs fine, any jerks or increased fuel consumptions.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

There is a specific Nissan diagnostic procedure to check this 1.6 Diesel fault properly. I don't have it unfortunately. I have the procedure for the MR20DD engine which is similar and mentions causes of the fault:

"POSSIBLE CAUSE"
Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
Heated oxygen sensor 2
Fuel system
EVAP system
Intake air system

The sensor may not be faulty. It may be sensing unusual conditions above and below specified exhaust gas mix levels. See attached picture of similar DTC PO138. You can see that voltages outside required O2 monitoring range when engine is operated will cause a DTC to appear. The O2 voltages when engine running have to be checked before the O2 sensor is condemned (faulted). Not sure if voltages are same for your 1.6 Diesel engine?

Its possible I guess to change the O2 sensor for new, then later get the PO 136 repeat because the exhaust gases (fuel/air) where not checked properly?

OK = Good
NG = Not Good

Screenshot from 2020-04-29 12-17-11.png

Last edited by calnorth on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Eduardo71

Post by Eduardo71 »

Yeah, as you see in photos, my diagnostic software shows, that both o2 sensors have 0 voltage. Maybe to see voltages, need specific diagnostic software only for Nissan. Fun fact that, then i clear my check engine light, this appears only for 30/40 km. I think maybe my o2 sensor working intermittent.

If check engine light will reappear, I try to change o2 sensor after catalyst, and see what happens.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Eduardo71 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:07 pm Yeah, as you see in photos, my diagnostic software shows, that both o2 sensors have 0 voltage. Maybe to see voltages, need specific diagnostic software only for Nissan. Fun fact that, then i clear my check engine light, this appears only for 30/40 km. I think maybe my o2 sensor working intermittent.

If check engine light will reappear, I try to change o2 sensor after catalyst, and see what happens.
To see the O2 sensor voltage wave properly you will need an oscilloscope type tool. The appearance of the O2 signal fluctuates fairly slowly I think and is tested at specific engine revs and temperature. Sensing rich to lean etc...changing. An OBD tool without a scope attachment is not good enough really.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

I agree with colin a scope is the tool required to accurately and correctly diagnose oxygen sensors, obd tool will only show you emmisions related data and is not manufacturer specific. With a tool that is capable of reading manufacturer specific data like a snap on tool or an autel would provide more data but ultimately a consult 3 plus and oscilloscope will tell you everything along with the online manual which dealer techs have access to.

I bet if you got hold of one of these or got it plugged in with one you would find p1135 in there.

The rear 02 sensor is a known issue, there are also software updates for R9M M9R and MR16 to alter the heat up strategy as the sensors suffer from thermal shock, K9K dont suffer with the same issue. If it hasnt already had the update it would be recommended to have it done to prevent any further early failures. The software is already rolled out onto j11 R9M produced 06/2018. Before that though it will require updating.

I'm preety sure on the diesels though both upstream and downstream sensors are air fuel ratio sensors (wide band sensors) so they dont necessarily switch between 0 to 1v they have a steady V reading which is set by manufacturer most are 3V but nissan petrol upstream wide band are about 2.1V and when a lean mixture is produced it goes up to about 4V and when a rich mixture is produced it goes down to about 1V. Wide band sensors work opposite to narrow band sensors.

Hope this helps
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

O2 Sensing et al:

I had wondered when I'd stick this vid in. Our correspondent in Holland..Dan. Highlights the right test equipment and background knowledge/tech data:

Its a BMW engine but principal is the same.

Reveals a slick way to check the response of the rear O2 sensor..interesting stuff

Last edited by calnorth on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
luki
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by luki »

@Chadwin and @Eduardo71 how did you get it sorted out with the P0136 and oxygen sensor in the end?