Change lights UK > EU Spec (Tekna LED)

Bodywork & Interior problems
dfcsl
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by dfcsl »

Hi,

I have a 2017 Tekna with full LED lights. I am in the process of changing the car onto EU registration so I need to change the 2 front LED headlights and 1 rear fog light.

Please note this is only valid for Tekna models as other models may not have the full LED headlights.

I read many times they shouldn´t need to be changed because they are "flat" but I had a test at a local ITV (MOT) test station and they confirmed the left light beams upwards, the lights need to be changed. The rear fog is on the wrong side so that has to also be resolved. Obviously this is for permanent export and would not be applicable for short stays in EU.

I hope this information will be of use to anyone else trying to change their Qashqai over to EU Spec lighting. Been running around for days trying to get part numbers, not an easy task and I am still confused about why many lights look different to mine even though they seemingly have the same part number, maybe because they are on the facelift model otherwise they are identical (I would have thought the part number would still have changed, however) - More on this later.

Massive thanks to Calnorth and DaveBerlin, they have both been a massive help.

Front Light Set

Currently, I have part number 100-18016 (LED UK RH / LED UK LH) - have not found the UK Nissan part number

I need to change to 100-18015 (LED EU RH / LED EU LH) which translates in Nissan part numbers to
260104EH1B (right)
260604EH1B (left)

Rear

Only the fog light needs to be changed here as it on the wrong side of the car... apparently, it is against EU law to have rear fogs on both sides of the car so I plan to just change it to the other side. I am still researching this but plan to see if the light fitting is actually in the left side of the car, I´m hoping there´s even a fitting there already so I can just swap over the bulb, or that at the least the wiring is there for the light on this side. Looks a bit of a job to get to the reversing/fog bulbs in the rear so will attempt this over the weekend.
Last edited by dfcsl on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Oh...forgot the Fog Lamp. Was checking mine yesterday for single or 2 Fogs...just one.

You'd think that production would not make such exceptions and its simply a swap over of a bulb. Just trying logic here.

So.. if we visit Europe in the fog and switch our RHD Fog lamp on...do we get Europe plod round our necks?

Don't think we have anything special as regards diagrams for Tekna...or N-connecta for that matter. Will check now for info:

Further. If you find a Fog bulb socket present and the bulb doesn't illuminate it maybe that a link wire is required. Diagram below shows a wiring config at B6 and D78. Which indicates RHD/LHD options I think?

Screenshot from 2020-06-11 11-37-39.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
dfcsl

Post by dfcsl »

Sourcing the front lights hasn´t been easy. Obviously the easy route is to buy them locally from Nissan, I planned to do that then got smacked the quote, the lights are 1350€ + fitting charges. Whilst it isn't out of the question (if that´s the only option), I wanted to research other options.

I changed some lights in a Nissan Note some months ago and bought them from AUTODOC, the lights were like OEM and slide right in, no problems - They were a fraction of the OEM price. So I checked through AUTODOC, they took my VIN and advised the following, at 180€ each they were much more realistic for me

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lnk-2940275
right
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lnk-3851632
left

I noticed a slight difference in the look of the light in that there was a hole dead center on the inner lamp section.. this showed me they were not full LED so I questioned it with the guy at AUTODOC, he reiterated they are the correct light but then under further investigation, we proved they were not the right light, the OEM part number was different... He then confirmed they had nothing to match my specification of Qashqai. The lights he was recommending were, I assume, for models other than the Tekna, I would have thought the VIN would have flagged this up but it did not. Whilst they would no doubt "fit" I assume the wiring would be different and of course I would lose full LED lighting.

I then found a few for Qashqai 2017 on eBay but they are different, the outer section of LED is certainly different, a square section which is round on mine and the sweep in the outer glass is definitely different on the left side, doesn't look like they will fit even if the wiring connectors are the same.... See below images.

So the difference between facelift models is making it difficult to source the lights, as my car was June 2017 and I believe this was at the end of the pre-facelift (facelift happened right around the release of my car, although maybe it has been sat around months before registration?).

square_section.jpg

round_section.jpg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

You'd certainly expect a VIN to reveal the full "As Built" data. It also gets pretty risky around "After Market" LEDS. I'd be very suspicious of the origins and quality of the LED units themselves.

Is it possible to remove everything electrical/electronic as parts from the UK headlamp for transfer to the after market unit. Thinking of commonality at the sub unit level.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
dfcsl

Post by dfcsl »

calnorth wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 am Oh...forgot the Fog Lamp. Was checking mine yesterday for single or 2 Fogs...just one.

You'd think that production would not make such exceptions and its simply a swap over of a bulb. Just trying logic here.

So.. if we visit Europe in the fog and switch our RHD Fog lamp on...do we get Europe plod round our necks?

Don't think we have anything special as regards diagrams for Tekna...or N-connecta for that matter. Will check now for info:

Further. If you find a Fog bulb socket present and the bulb doesn't illuminate it maybe that a link wire is required. Diagram below shows a wiring config at B6 and D78. Which indicates RHD/LHD options I think?

Thanks for the diagram, looking at that it indicates B24 on the left side and D78 on the right side, hopefully it is totally wired for it
i´ll be able to confirm after i´ve got that panel off, hopefully this weekend.

Cheers!
dfcsl

Post by dfcsl »

calnorth wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 am You'd certainly expect a VIN to reveal the full "As Built" data. It also gets pretty risky around "After Market" LEDS. I'd be very suspicious of the origins and quality of the LED units themselves.

Is it possible to remove everything electrical/electronic as parts from the UK headlamp for transfer to the after market unit. Thinking of commonality at the sub unit level.
I know what you mean on the aftermarket LEDs, I´d certainly prefer to go OEM on this.

Maybe that would be possible, to remove everything and change over as parts, I´m not sure if they are totally closed units though for waterproof reasons? I can consider as a last resort if I can´t source some decent price lights. Now I got the part codes correct it is becoming easier and getting some leads on lights from breakers over Europe :-)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Scott, here are a few more contacts which might be worth a buzz for the LHD Type you might be lucky - Dave 😁

02DCFAA1-1440-4996-978E-6975B8321117.jpeg

D3061B12-7C69-4EDB-B07B-848009439C7A.jpeg

AA48BADA-059C-4A1F-B39E-F98034E89D03.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

dfcsl wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:57 pm
calnorth wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 am Oh...forgot the Fog Lamp. Was checking mine yesterday for single or 2 Fogs...just one.

Thanks for the diagram, looking at that it indicates B24 on the left side and D78 on the right side, hopefully it is totally wired for it

Cheers!
That is a sub harness...Option. I would expect the whole sub harness to be there on your Tekna. Socket and wiring ready for a bulb. Thats if this diagram is correct of course?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

dfcsl wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:00 pm
calnorth wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 am You'd certainly expect a VIN to reveal the full "As Built" data. It also gets pretty risky around "After Market" LEDS. I'd be very suspicious of the origins and quality of the LED units themselves.

I know what you mean on the aftermarket LEDs, I´d certainly prefer to go OEM on this.

Maybe that would be possible, to remove everything and change over as parts, I´m not sure if they are totally closed units though for waterproof reasons? I can consider as a last resort if I can´t source some decent price lights. Now I got the part codes correct it is becoming easier and getting some leads on lights from breakers over Europe :-)
The LED illuminator and its driver (controller) whether that be singular or integrated units should be changeable from the rear of the headlamp....I hope !
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
dfcsl

Post by dfcsl »

dfcsl wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Cheers!
I managed to get the interior boot panel off this afternoon and there is indeed a bulb holder there. I looked through the bulb holder and there is no hole for the bulb though.... lol. So I drilled that out and no problem at all, just a thick plastic - Changed the bulb over to the left side, extended the cables over from the existing on the right and job is complete. At least that part is sorted.

FWIW - The interior boot panel was easier than I expected, was careful with the clips that are on the inside, a few were slightly bruised but all back together, and the bulb on the correct side, now satisfying EU standard.

Finally, as for the cables being on the left side, it was not obvious so instead of breaking into the loom there I extended the cables over from the right.