Some random Aussie

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
BlackPearl
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by BlackPearl »

Hi all from Australia,

Found this place a while ago, actually. Thought I should join up and say hello.

This is my 2012 J10 Nissan Dualis Ti-L AWD Series 3

It's just a daily and don't really have any plans for it. Although, when I first found this place, I was interested to know how to root the head unit, open a shell etc. Would love to get CarPlay running on it. It's also our first CVT auto... and yeah not amused. They feel so gutless. Have to admit I've done a few searches about SR20 conversions. :D
Pearl Black 2012 J10 Nissan Dualis Ti-L Series 3 AWD (Aus)

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Hi,
Doubt you could ever root the ICE/Radio box...whatever it is. This is not Android or Linux OS. Its some bespoke/proprietry Nissan thing. You'll probably have to get an Android tablet to overlay onto the dash board.....very much cheaper.

Colin

Something like this maybe:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283072 ... hweb201603_
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
BlackPearl

Post by BlackPearl »

Hah! The first thing I did after bringing it home was check out aftermarket head units. :D I like the Alpine X308AU "perfect fit" for the J10... it's only AUD $3k. So around about here I fell in a rabbit hole and started looking for the firmware. Found on here somewhere (I think) it's an open source embedded linux distro from Bosch. You might be able to download the source still from the website.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

BlackPearl wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:14 am Hah! The first thing I did after bringing it home was check out aftermarket head units. :D I like the Alpine X308AU "perfect fit" for the J10... it's only AUD $3k. So around about here I fell in a rabbit hole and started looking for the firmware. Found on here somewhere (I think) it's an open source embedded linux distro from Bosch. You might be able to download the source still from the website.
I suspect what you saw in the posts here is a guess at Linux distro by Bosch. It appears to be being updated though? We suspect Nissans efforts to be Linux of some awkward flavour but the effort is poor/slow and subject to being quickly abandoned...by Nissan. They've moved on to Android/Apple which in the case of Android should be something like Oreo/Pie although I wouldn't bank on it. Aftermarket stuff appears to be Android 8/9 etc. Youtube has some links to that
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I have friends in Australia and have been there several times recently. Based in Brisbane and having "done" Sydney (twice), Canberra, Adelaide, Melbourne, Cairns and Hobart. Still to "do" Perth and Darwin plus NZ.

Last year I purposely hired an X-Trail - couldn't find a Qashqai - and it was great for Australian roads. Especially those roads where you're merely bowling along and suddenly it all changes to gravel! We don't have any gravelled public roads in the UK.

I might have been back again this summer (your winter) had it not been for COVID-19.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
BlackPearl

Post by BlackPearl »

calnorth wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:42 am I suspect what you saw in the posts here is a guess at Linux distro by Bosch. It appears to be being updated though? We suspect Nissans efforts to be Linux of some awkward flavour but the effort is poor/slow and subject to being quickly abandoned...by Nissan. They've moved on to Android/Apple which in the case of Android should be something like Oreo/Pie although I wouldn't bank on it. Aftermarket stuff appears to be Android 8/9 etc. Youtube has some links to that
Definitely a linux distro made by Bosch (see below) and my system, a NissanConnect 2, hasn't been updated for a few years. We don't have any sort of OTA updates here either. When a head unit has Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, the system merely mirrors the smartphone. In the case of CarPlay, what is shown on the head unit depends on the version of iOS installed on the iPhone. What's got me interested in the last year or so is that CarPlay no longer requires a hardware component and can be implemented with software. The hardware specs of the unit might get me though.

Nissan - Open Source Software: https://oss.bosch-cm.com/nissan_content.html
Includes source code for open source software and license information. Doesn't include any proprietary software for AroundView, maps and GPS navigation.
gloucester wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:22 am Welcome to this forum.

I have friends in Australia and have been there several times recently. Based in Brisbane and having "done" Sydney (twice), Canberra, Adelaide, Melbourne, Cairns and Hobart. Still to "do" Perth and Darwin plus NZ.

Last year I purposely hired an X-Trail - couldn't find a Qashqai - and it was great for Australian roads. Especially those roads where you're merely bowling along and suddenly it all changes to gravel! We don't have any gravelled public roads in the UK.

I might have been back again this summer (your winter) had it not been for COVID-19.
Cheers mate. Everyone tells me driving around Tasmania is a good drive -- I'm probably more about the trip than the destination. Great Ocean Road in Victoria is a good drive too, driving through all the old whalers stations and towns, The Twelve Apostles is along there and just a couple hours out of Melbourne. The Magret River region in Western Australia and Uluru in the NT is worth it.
Stay away from them Mitsubishi ASX things a lot of the rental places seem to have. I'd be going for something RWD like a VF Commodore if they have any left or even a Mustang... good for highway cruising :D
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I've seen that Bosch package listing page before. It looked odd then. My 2017 Connect 3 box is at software ver F16A on Hardware ver 037. On unzipping one of those packages there are unexpected end of data errors (.bin). Looks like a right rats nest really and likely needs assembling with the Nav SW packages.

There is no OTA feature and Nissan had abandoned their Connect App around mid 2017. Very abrupt and without explanation.

I think whats happened is that some one woke up at Nissan to the fact that they only need to install a tablet in the dash. Whether they took something reliable off the market or cobbled another piece of stuff together is my bother with it. I guess the replacement price will be the shocker.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta