Failed fuel injector

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
brrrrummm_brum
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by brrrrummm_brum »

I have a P0201 injector circuit open and the car is only firing on 3 cylinders, so I suspect it needs a new fuel injector. Problem is, I'm on holiday and unlikely to be able to get a part delivered in time to get it installed, so may have to limp 250 miles back home with the vehicle in this state.

Is this likely to cause any harm to the engine?

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I know nothing about mechanical stuff, but I wouldn't think about driving 250 miles on 3 cylinders personally.
Sounds like it could cost lots of money !!

Presumably you don't have breakdown cover ?
It might be worth joining a larger motoring organisation and .. discovering .. this fault the day you set off for home …. ;)
Get them to "recover" you back to your house.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
brrrrummm_brum

Post by brrrrummm_brum »

I do have breakdown cover - will check the small print on what they'll do!
brrrrummm_brum

Post by brrrrummm_brum »

I'm with Autoaid and they will recover me to anywhere in the UK. Not sure what timescale this would be on - it would be from North West Scotland to South East Scotland...
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

that sounds like excellent news.
I've always been with the RAC.
I haven't had to use them for many years but I once had the transfer box go on a RAV4. This might not still the case but I could agree with them a recovery date (not ridiculously in advance) assuming they couldn't fix the car. They couldn't, of course but I was on the M60 3 miles from home.
I'd get them out and see what the operative says.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
brrrrummm_brum

Post by brrrrummm_brum »

As luck would have it, started the car today and the engine seemed to be running fine, plus there was only an orange warning light instead of a red one. From past experience, I had a good idea that this would go away if I stopped and restarted the engine. Hey presto! EMU warning lights have gone! Add some fuel injector cleaner so hopefully it will be OK.
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Have you tried putting some injector cleaner in the tank? Could help you get home
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
brrrrummm_brum

Post by brrrrummm_brum »

I put injector cleaner in the tank and it's been OK since. Drove over 260 miles home yesterday. There was one blip when the red engine management light and anti-skid lights came on, but after a few second the engine light went off. I stopped the car and restarted it, and the anti skid thing stayed off.

I have got a gadget that reads engine error codes, so I cleared the codes, but the codes came back again. One is the fuel injector and the other is for a glow plug. I will see if the error codes come back today.
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

brrrrummm_brum wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:33 pm I put injector cleaner in the tank and it's been OK since. Drove over 260 miles home yesterday. There was one blip when the red engine management light and anti-skid lights came on, but after a few second the engine light went off. I stopped the car and restarted it, and the anti skid thing stayed off.

I have got a gadget that reads engine error codes, so I cleared the codes, but the codes came back again. One is the fuel injector and the other is for a glow plug. I will see if the error codes come back today.
Good to hear the fuel injector cleaner worked, when I had my Mercedes B Class, had the same problem and used injector cleaner, the cheap stuff from Sainsbury's :D Had to put 2 lots in over a 6 month period, but cleared up my problems. I think it may be the sensors are a little nervous :lol:
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
fuzed

Post by fuzed »

similar issue with the mrs car, but no skid light, and p0202 error, cleared and it went away, will grab some injector cleaner and throw that into the tank. Also some people have had issues with the connectors going to the ECU getting slightly corroded, so may be worth cleaning them as well.