Qashqai Internal Safety Net

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

We have been looking around for some time to purchase “Fold Up E-Bike’s” which we could just throw in the back of the QQ and I have tested a couple of these recently.
One being the “GoCycle” which is an electric bicycle manufactured by Karbon Kinetics Limited, a company founded in 2002 by Richard Thorpe, who set out to create the world's best urban electric bike. Thorpe is an industrial designer who once worked at the racing car company McLaren. The Gocycle has interchangeable quick release wheels, a fully enclosed chain, gearing and cabling, a moulded magnesium frame and wheels and a flat pack storage and transport system, in which the bicycle folds up in 10 secs if achievable (more complex than the other) and can be carried in a case. The electric motor is powered by a rechargeable lithium ion battery - A Very Nice Bike ! Deliveries to here were not so good or the supply of parts from the UK, now whether it is Brexit or not unknown. All very trendy and Sporty but it was like buying a German Car the Basic Price and then everything + + +

C7228101-E267-44D0-9610-5F63549E527E.jpeg

The other was a “Hercules F8” German Model (Alu Frame) with a 500Wh Bosch Motor, Electrics, Hyd Brakes, Shimano Gears etc. Now this was more of a basic cycle design, Simple Fold Mechanism, Alu Frame, 8 Twist Gears, included everything, was faster and around 40% cheaper then the GoCycle. This is the one we have ordered for Starters.

B9F2CC7F-4985-45CC-85CC-F3A4388CDD67.jpeg

Now comes my question, the plan was to put most likely 2 of these in the Rear of the QQ, they do fit but a little on the tight side. What I am concerned about is “Safety” and what I do not want to happen is that these cycles fly around under Braking and wrap around our Heads. The plan is for Anti Slip Rubber mats also with Elastic Stretch Straps. From Nissan and Elsewhere Nets are purchasable but they only secure articles in the Rear Area of the QQ via 4 Rings but not from the QQ Rear Door Area to the Rear of the Seats.

Nissan Net System :

6C703825-8EC7-41D8-897B-D64946AC4990.jpeg

Both E-Bikes in QQ Rear without Safety Nets :

4FA509CC-2B3A-4AB3-871E-EC55B0E72DA6.jpeg

Rear Hatch Tray placed to prevent Seat Damage :

9526DE08-DC16-4E17-BCDA-8388ADE85A2D.jpeg

If any member has ideas or any experience of purchasing and using a large Net that covers this whole area I would be grateful for comments. There are large Trailer Nets available but very large and heavy.
This is just a question as a discussion point at present, if need be I might have to purchase a Tow Bar / Bike Carrier in the end. This is most probably the Safest Method in the end.

Looking forward to any helpful comments or ideas - Dave 🧐
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Dave...what about its original box...? Get parcel tape
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
RiveriaMan

Post by RiveriaMan »

Hi Dave, would suggest that tow bar mounted bike rack probably safest option as you have already considered. But just to throw out there as requested then what about a heavy duty headrest mounted dog/load guard type arrangement to help prevent being hit by flying bike, where these could maybe held/tied down to prevent this by using 3 x old seatbelt straps attached to the three rear passenger clips that are put in before you put the seats down flat and then fed through the seat gaps to then tie the bikes down with.
Qashqai J11 2017 1.5 dci N-Connecta - Upgraded Horn - Upgraded Boot Lights - Bonnet Gas Struts - Hard Wired Dash Cam (Front/Rear) Dynamic Turn Indicators (Front/Mirror), Twin Exhaust Muffler, LED Interior, Reverse, Glove Box, Footwell, Puddle Lights.
RiveriaMan

Post by RiveriaMan »

Hi Dave

Obviously there is the fully fitted detachable swan neck tow ball bike rack option, which needs tow bar to be fitted first before purchasing the actual bike rack.
Or you could consider this option mentioned long time ago, no tow bar fitting required it appears just fitting the kit that includes the rack. Designed specifically for the Qashqai.

https://auxtail.com/qashqai-fitting/

https://auxtail.com/product/easyride2-for-qashqai/

https://auxtail.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ctions.pdf
Qashqai J11 2017 1.5 dci N-Connecta - Upgraded Horn - Upgraded Boot Lights - Bonnet Gas Struts - Hard Wired Dash Cam (Front/Rear) Dynamic Turn Indicators (Front/Mirror), Twin Exhaust Muffler, LED Interior, Reverse, Glove Box, Footwell, Puddle Lights.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Thanks for the replies - Dave 😏
Colin, I did not get it sent but bought it from an E-Bike Outlet and it was Packed but not in a Box 😩 :

C2260947-4EA3-431D-9D8C-D9D0FF4E8F23.jpeg

RiveriaMan, Thanks for your suggestion looks like it could be back to the Drawing Board for me, the idea is there but I just wanted something quick. Your suggestion is great but could be a bit heavy and difficult to fix but need to think about it,
Actually the Auxtail System I remember, in fact I did talk with our Dealer here about the Design.
Thanks for the ideas the Brain needs to be kicked into action again, but the last resort if the second one comes to fruition could be the Bike Carrier.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Dave...dealer still has the box? Save money for other delightful things like:

omh_pf_.jpg

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
RiveriaMan

Post by RiveriaMan »

Hi Dave

Again just throwing out there again is to possibly use some normal rear boot mounted bike carrier type straps that you can buy as spares without buying the whole rack, then secure these to the Seats rear tether points that would usually be used for child car safety seats but these tether points are now on effectively your vans floor.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, still got some money but support the Local Berlin Brewery - Dave 🍻

0806F971-EF79-4938-BA47-3B7414ADA681.jpeg

RiveriaMann, my head is hurting with all of these ideas of yours and need to think about this. I might even approach our Nissan Service Mgr. and see if he has any ideas. I worked with him at another Nissan Dealer when buying our Note - Thanks again Dave 👍

84DC8C87-E741-47E9-9ADA-B02728540806.jpeg

fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

I don't think internal carriage is at all safe. As an ex RAF Movements Officer I recall we used to look at providing 4 x gravity restraint for aircraft loads. In an accident involving any amount of speed the deceleration forces are massive. Obviously the weight of the item you are restraining is a critical factor and I guess that these bikes are reasonably heavy. If each is 60kg you are trying to restrain 120kg x 4 (4 x gravity) or a total of 480kg. Whilst seat belt anchor points and seat belts are designed for such restraint, the 4 net tie down points in the trunk area are unlikely to be able to hold such a force in an accident. External carriage is therefore in my opinion the best and safest option.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

oh...forgot the house (garage) suppliers.

My son lobs his bike into the boot of his C63 Merc. Dread to think what state that boot is in now. Down to Le Mans and Nürburgring..... :shock:

I suspect you need the rear door mount stuff...watch the invaders don't nick it off the mount though.

Whats the average sort of battery usage like?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta