Rattle/Vibration when first fired up.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Jacobs94
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Jacobs94 »

Hi all,

First time poster here, bought my QQ at the weekend from Arnold Clark in St Helens.

When I fire up my car in a morning, or at the end of the work day, I can hear a distinct rattle from somewhere seemingly in front of me. The tachometer finger also seemingly bounces a little bit whilst idling but then regulated and stays still. The rattle/vibration seems to be louder when inside the cab with all doors shut, than when I've got my bonnet up listening to the engine.

The rattle is only in idle, when the car is in gear and driving it's perfectly smooth. The first couple of sets of lights i stop at on my route, when the car is in idle I can still hear the noise. I've got about a 25 minute run to work on 30/40mph roads and by the time I get to work the rattle is gone and everything is running beautifully.

I decided to take the car to a mechanic that I've used a couple of times so he could sit in the car and listen and tell me whether it was anything concerning, but by the time I got to the garage the noise had gone and the car was running smoothly so there was nothing for him to listen to. He listened to my description and said that the tachometer jittering a bit would be the effects of the engines sensors trying to boot things up a bit because they were sensing that the engine was cold. This doesn't sound right to me...

I've reposted this question because I've read the threads I could find by searching for 'Rattle' 'Vibration' and 'Noise' but I couldn't find anything that sounded exactly like mine. One user in a thread said that a rattling noise that sounded like it was in front of him when the car was first fired up was actually the fuel pump priming the engine from behind the back seats, could this be the case?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!
2015 1.5Cdi N-Tec+

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Think that needs to go up on a ramp. Generally, rattles that appear/disappear are related to parts that warm up (expand) I'd say. Loose stuff keeps rattling? The exhaust system has to be a good first candidate if there's nothing identifiable from the engine.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Jacobs94

Post by Jacobs94 »

calnorth wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:20 am Think that needs to go up on a ramp. Generally, rattles that appear/disappear are related to parts that warm up (expand) I'd say. Loose stuff keeps rattling? The exhaust system has to be a good first candidate if there's nothing identifiable from the engine.
Thanks for your reply calnorth. I've emailed Arnold Clark and asked them when I can bring it in to them. As stated, by the time I get to them the car will be warm and the noise inaudible so i'm going to leave the car with them and let them test it themselves in the morning. I'll let you know what get said.
2015 1.5Cdi N-Tec+
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

wrt the tachometer needle - I think that this seems to be a "feature" and unless a technician/mechanic can confirm otherwise it's just a thing that these engines/electronics do.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Jacobs94

Post by Jacobs94 »

MikeGC wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:24 am wrt the tachometer needle - I think that this seems to be a "feature" and unless a technician/mechanic can confirm otherwise it's just a thing that these engines/electronics do.
Thanks a lot MikeGC, I wasn't aware of this, so glad that seems to be unrelated to the weird rattle.
2015 1.5Cdi N-Tec+