Qashqai Indicator problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
nassin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by nassin »

Hi.My Nissan Qashqai 2017 Tekna 1.5 indicators have started acting strangely. For this past couple of months.if I get into the car and start the engine without revving it, the indicators behave perfectly normal on both sides but as soon the engine is revved up the indicators will flash at double the normal speed when switched on (both sides) and would continue to function like this until the engine is switched off. The hazzard lights work ok at all times and all other lights function completely normally. It seems that once the car starts charging, this problem starts.I have tried disconnecting the battery for a short while,but does not cure this.Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

duncho

Post by duncho »

Would be good to check for DTCs, but you could measure battery voltage when you rev the engine. You can do so with multimeter or via NC service menu.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
nassin

Post by nassin »

Thank you duncho for replying,I tested this today and all seems ok. 12.2v after starting and engine not reved and 14.2v when reeved.All bulbs and connections are ok.Seems strange that the emergency flashers behave normally all the time.Will likely have to take it to the dealer as I cannot find a solution .
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Dont suppose you also get intermittently dimming interior light and or driving lights when cold?
duncho

Post by duncho »

Ok, I checked and there is recall RB 18/04 issued for this problem and your dealer should send you a letter.

A potential concern affecting the Body Control Module (BCM) of some Qashqai (J11) vehicles has been identified. A total of 10,791 vehicles are affected by this recall.

There needs to be BCM reprogrammed with new sftw.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Sounds like BCM is detecting and executing a faulty indicator bulb mode. Sensing flips flashing to double speed on bulb/wiring fault. If I remember right (diagnostics) 4 way flashing is not subject to such sensing and always remains at the slower/normal speed.

Where a firmware update is available it might be useful to enquire whether or not this problem is addressed in that update. Otherwise you may have a BCM related fault ?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
lewisbryant

Post by lewisbryant »

That RB 18/04 is for the BCM not triggering double flash.

There has been 2 other bcm updates but only for major change j11 that addresses an issue with lights dimming at cold start due to the PTC control logic. But that update introduces a battery drain issue so there was another update to address that also.

If yours is the j11 minor change then it's a physical modification for the dimming of interior light and driving lights
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

lewisbryant wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:08 am That RB 18/04 is for the BCM not triggering double flash.

There has been 2 other bcm updates but only for major change j11 that addresses an issue with lights dimming at cold start due to the PTC control logic. But that update introduces a battery drain issue so there was another update to address that also.

If yours is the j11 minor change then it's a physical modification for the dimming of interior light and driving lights
Why is it that a 2017 car only now (2020) starts to double flash...and I guess the next thing is, warranty work?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
lewisbryant

Post by lewisbryant »

I think it's like you said calnorth it's probably an indicator out or it thinks theres an indicator out and nothing to do with the RB 18/04
nassin

Post by nassin »

Thanks to everybody for your help.I will have a talk with the dealer about this problem as its iis certainally not going to clear up by itself