VIN Plate Decoding

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
malvern_man
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by malvern_man »

Hi all,

I will be hopefully picking up my new Tekna+ very soon, the Nissan dealer has sent my the Reg number and VIN number so I've been trying to decode it just to make sure that it hasn't been parked on some runway somewhere for years after it was actually manufactured. The date code on the VIN is the letter U, but when I look on the net it says that the letter U was never used as a year of manufacture identifier.

Plus I want to make sure I'm getting what I paid for, the latest facelift 2020 Tekna+ ( what is the J number for this model, there is a J11 within the VIN number )

Could the dealer have misread/mistyped the VIN number before sending it to me?

Regards, Chris.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Malvern_man, firstly welcome to the Forum. If you enter in the Web for example “VIN Decoder” there should be a few options that come up which you could use. We have a late 2019 Tekna + here in Berlin and we also have a “J11U” within the VIN number. On the Forum the Newer QQ’s are known as the earlier J11A and now the newer as J11B. If you look at the Nissan Glyn Hopkin website they use J11E and J11B - hope this helps Dave 🙏
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

J11 vin code U1 or UZ are the old j11A and J11b are vin number U2 then after that is the production number.
There is no date code In the vin but dealers can get the build date month.
SJN is Sunderland
Then the next three are engine type and transmission
Then model number j11
Then U1 or UZ or U2
Then 6 digits for production number.

Hope this helps
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

DaveBerlin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:55 pm Malvern_man, firstly welcome to the Forum. If you enter in the Web for example “VIN Decoder” there should be a few options that come up which you could use. We have a late 2019 Tekna + here in Berlin and we also have a “J11U” within the VIN number. On the Forum the Newer QQ’s are known as the earlier J11A and now the newer as J11B. If you look at the Nissan Glyn Hopkin website they use J11E and J11B - hope this helps Dave 🙏
lewisbryant wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:06 pm J11 vin code U1 or UZ are the old j11A and J11b are vin number U2 then after that is the production number.
There is no date code In the vin but dealers can get the build date month.
SJN is Sunderland
Then the next three are engine type and transmission
Then model number j11
Then U1 or UZ or U2
Then 6 digits for production number.

Hope this helps
Thank you both for the info, when I first put the vin code into a free vin code checker it said the date of manufacture was 2014, something not quite right there :lol:

I've got the SJN code at the start so I now know it's a Sunderland vehicle, and J11 U2 so im pretty confident it's not been stock piled on some runway up north for years :lol:

The dealer told me that Nissan are stopping production the Tekna+ very soon, not sure how true this statement is though.

Regards, Chris.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Lewis, thanks for that nice breakdown on the VIN Facts 👍

Chris , I think you are the 2nd person to mention the fact that they are stopping the Tekna + but I have not seen any other Tekna + models in Berlin as yet. I feel that the Specification Is v. good and perhaps now our models will be classed as “Limited Edition” or a “Collectors Car” in the Future, here’s hoping - Dave 😂

Not sure if you know but this is the meaning of Tekna :
The Tekna was the name given to both a Sahrawi tribal confederation of Lamta Sanhaja Berber and Arab Hassani people, with origins in southern Morocco and parts of northern Western Sahara, but traditionally with wider migration routes. Nowadays, its population is estimated to be around 669,000.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Minx

Post by Minx »

I have had my new Tekna + for 9 days now, I tried scanning the vin no to add it to the Nissan Connect app. Failed miserably then told by Nissan that new build does not connect to the app anymore as it was discontinued in April.
The lack of speed camera alerts is a bummer, and the new software is a nightmare to get to grips with. When I plug in my phone to the USB socket the sound on the sat nav stops totally, The old style that I had from new for 5 years was a much better system and the navtech sat nav software was much better than the current tom tom? No updates to cameras available for it, The update for maps takes 35minutes to do with WIFI . Did anyone find a solution to the speed camera alerts?
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Minx wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:29 pm I have had my new Tekna + for 9 days now, I tried scanning the vin no to add it to the Nissan Connect app. Failed miserably then told by Nissan that new build does not connect to the app anymore as it was discontinued in April.
Tha App. was absolute pants - you aren't missing anything
Minx wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:29 pm When I plug in my phone to the USB socket the sound on the sat nav stops totally,
that sounds like a fault - probably worth taking back to the dealer
Minx wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:29 pm Did anyone find a solution to the speed camera alerts?
people CarPlay or Android Auto to use Waze IIRC - probably another App too
Someone has reported importing the camera data via a USB stick and saving as "Places of interest" I think - no idea how that would work
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Points of Interest (POI) and Speed Cams:

Nissan Head Units upto 2017 (Connect 3) have a Nav menu entry for POI's. Those can be two files of either your own or a full library of UK/EU Speed Cam positions. The French have a ban on that.

I don't have the latest Connect head unit that incorporates Android Auto/CarPlay. So, I don't know if the Nav system has an entry point for POIs. Can somebody have a look because info is scarce....and report back please.

Other than that there is an Android App that will present Speed Cams on Smartphones as POI's. It requires an annual subscription. Its original intention is as a database for all common GPS Navigators and some cars.

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

As regards plugging stuff into USB on these lame head units my guess is that the unit being plugged in takes priority...dunno.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta