Nissan Connect Reboots when using USB/CD Player

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

ok...I think we are stuck here because no info is available. Certainly no diagrams either. Nobody has reported any major problems to this site in the UK to date.

The previous Nissan performance at correcting Connect 2 (pre 2017) crash/reboot was dire...very slow. Perhaps somebody on this site who reads this and has the 2020 Connect 4 might post the hidden menu which might give us a view of system configuration.

Where such a car is under full warranty the manufacturer is very much obliged to replace the faulty item. Its backed by law in UK.

I attach your pic above with a bit of adjustment:

Connect 4.JPG

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

noosy

Post by noosy »

Sorry for the late reply calnorth, I've been busy with a very unwell dog. :( Here is an update to the continuing saga if you're still interested in following it...

I finally heard back from the Nissan Customer Care rep today who gave me the same story about 'we're waiting for a software update to correct this known issue'. I pointed out that there was no 'we' in any of this - the only one waiting or being inconvenienced here was me, the mug who'd been stupid enough to buy a Nissan and then expect them to honour their warranty! I told her it was unfathomable to me that they would just assume my problems were software related - especially since my issues also involve the CD player - instead of replacing a unit that is covered by a warranty.

I then reminded her I'd already been waiting for over 3 months and that Nissan had been aware of this supposed issue for the last 5 months at least. I asked her just how much longer I was expected to wait to have a working Nissan Connect Unit. Her response? "We're waiting for approval for the update." Wow, so apparently I'm playing a waiting game based on some head honchos nod of 'approval'...? This actually left me speechless for a moment....

So then I put it to her that if she was telling me the truth and all the Nissan Connect 4 units are faulty - and Nissan has known about this since June or earlier - then they knowingly sold me a faulty car in July, and that is utterly disgusting. Funnily enough she had no comeback for that one! I ended our conversation by telling her that Nissan was fast becoming the most dishonest bunch of grubs I've ever dealt with. She just parroted the same old 'yes I understand you're upset, I'm just telling you what Nissan have passed on to me' story. Now I have absolutely no idea where to go from here which is very, very frustrating :x
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

In the uk we also have the usb rebooting problem in the new AIVI system (alliance in vehicle infointment). But it's only ones without satnav, yours is without satnav so it probably is the software issue,, the ones with satnav do not have the same issue. I have not heard any issue with the CD player being a part of this issue, If this was me working on this vehicle the cd player being a problem justifies replacing the unit to atleast see if it cures the cd player issue. As imagine if your waiting for this head unit and after the update (when it arrives) still has the cd player issue then the radio will have to be replaced, could be waiting months for the unit. Get in touch with customer services tell them you want the unit replaced and if the symptoms are still there after that say you want a loan car from them that actually works until you can fix the issue with your car that was sold to you defective from day 1 and it was known that it was defective. Because at this rate if your keeping the car for just 3 years then your heading for a full year with it being slightly defective.
Hope you get this sorted soon
noosy

Post by noosy »

Thanks for your input and suggestions lewisbryant.

Unfortunately Nissan couldn't care less what I want. I've asked them to replace the unit a few times now and they've flatly refused. They keep telling me that all the units are faulty, they all have the same problem, they all need a software update (that doesn't yet exist :roll: ) and therefore they don't have to replace it.....I just have to keep waiting for this update to materialize. They don't care that my CD player is now part of the problem, it still falls under their 'known USB issue' umbrella as far as they're concerned. If I don't like it then that's too bad for me! I guess they're hoping I'll get sick of trying and go away.

You're quite right when you say it's a slight defect, however it's still a defect that a brand new car shouldn't have. To make matters worse they knowingly sold it to me like that. I paid $32,000 for the Qashqai, my first new car in 25 years after my Hyundai Excel had to be retired, and I can't even play music in it properly. I wish I'd never walked into the Nissan showroom and based on their refusal to do the right thing now I would never buy another one of their cars again. What's really ironic is that when I bought the Hyundai all those years ago my friends told me I'd be sorry because they're garbage, but that car never let me down once. Go figure hey? ;)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

noosy, don't know how social media savvy you are but my partner's son had an issue with a vehicle about this time last year.
He took to complaining first to the managing director of the dealer who sold him the car and then to twitter and facebook.

Miraculously, they insisted on trying much harder and actually fixed his problem.
Might be worth giving that a try ?
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

noosy wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:54 am Thanks for your input and suggestions lewisbryant.

Unfortunately Nissan couldn't care less what I want. I've asked them to replace the unit a few times now and they've flatly refused. They keep telling me that all the units are faulty, they all have the same problem, they all need a software update (that doesn't yet exist :roll: ) and therefore they don't have to replace it.....I just have to keep waiting for this update to materialize. They don't care that my CD player is now part of the problem, it still falls under their 'known USB issue' umbrella as far as they're concerned. If I don't like it then that's too bad for me! I guess they're hoping I'll get sick of trying and go away.

You're quite right when you say it's a slight defect, however it's still a defect that a brand new car shouldn't have. To make matters worse they knowingly sold it to me like that. I paid $32,000 for the Qashqai, my first new car in 25 years after my Hyundai Excel had to be retired, and I can't even play music in it properly. I wish I'd never walked into the Nissan showroom and based on their refusal to do the right thing now I would never buy another one of their cars again. What's really ironic is that when I bought the Hyundai all those years ago my friends told me I'd be sorry because they're garbage, but that car never let me down once. Go figure hey? ;)
Likely they are all screwed in this respect. It shouldn't take any of the systems houses very long to detect and correct this problem as such. That of course depends on its original design. The head unit should have dumped crash logs which is a diagnostics pointer. After that its crafting a fix that should not involve a change in hardware. I'd assume here that the hardware is amongst common chipsets that well known manufacturers support. Mainly off-the-shelf items that can be quickly integrated and built.

I suppose its also difficult to reject the vehicle based on a audio (data handling) fault. Where they go really wrong though is not briefing customers properly. They might think of supplying something like a minor service in compensation? Might, maybe, possibly, could..?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
noosy

Post by noosy »

Just an update for those who might be interested:

Unfortunately Nissan is still mucking me around with this issue. I sent them one last email reminding them of my consumer right to have the problem rectified in a timely fashion, not almost 5 months and counting. I then told them that it isn't my problem that their tech department hasn't been able to come up with a software update to fix it in all that time. I again suggested that this was because the units are actually broken and can't be fixed. I then warned them I would lodge a motor vehicle dispute with an organization here in Australia called QCAT (Queensland Civil And Administrative Tribunal). Nissan's response, to shut me up I'm guessing, was to tell me a software update 'should be available next week'.....and of course it wasn't. Big surprise! :x

Anyway, I've lodged a dispute and it is now in QCAT's hands. Thanks again to all who have offered help here on this forum, I've appreciated it very much.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

noosy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:21 am Just an update for those who might be interested:

Unfortunately Nissan is still mucking me around with this issue. I sent them one last email reminding them of my consumer right to have the problem rectified in a timely fashion, not almost 5 months and counting. I then told them that it isn't my problem that their tech department hasn't been able to come up with a software update to fix it in all that time. I again suggested that this was because the units are actually broken and can't be fixed. I then warned them I would lodge a motor vehicle dispute with an organization here in Australia called QCAT (Queensland Civil And Administrative Tribunal). Nissan's response, to shut me up I'm guessing, was to tell me a software update 'should be available next week'.....and of course it wasn't. Big surprise! :x

Anyway, I've lodged a dispute and it is now in QCAT's hands. Thanks again to all who have offered help here on this forum, I've appreciated it very much.
Keep in touch @noosy and I hope QCAT can be of use? We have local council Trading Standards and the SMMT (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders). The SMMT in my experience are nothing but a protection agency for the Motor Manufacturers...simply there to bat us off.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
noosy

Post by noosy »

Yes, I will keep in touch calnorth and let you know the outcome.

It's funny you should say that about your SMMT being there to simply 'bat you off'. The Nissan rep I spoke with didn't seem the least bit concerned when I said I'd lodge a dispute with QCAT. This makes me wonder if QCAT might actually be a toothless tiger and I've just wasted my time - and the fee they charged me! I hope I'm wrong of course, but it would come as no surprise to me at all if this dispute process achieved nothing. :(
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Noosy, after reading and keeping up to date on your QQ Problems it does appear you are at least getting the Back Up from the Forum members with a Technical Background, but not from your Dealer or Nissan.
It must be really frustrating but you appear to have covered your problems in detail really well and I would assume Nissan NCS are also informed in writing. Something I immediately learned out here in Berlin was to record Facts & Data (Germany is the Land of Paper 😂) All of the problems I had with our older QQ were photo’ed and documented for reference as the Norm from NCS is Contact the Dealer as NCS is basically a Call Centre. What I found with my emailed complaints was that you get an emailed NCS Customer Ref. No. but when I tried to ask to talk to a Technical Person it did not work. Eventually I got a name (she does not speak to me anymore) and her position was identified as being the “Back Desk”, these are the people that seem to be the main Customer Contact.
Regarding our Dealer here they actually progressed everything using my data, liaising with Nissan, doing their specified checks, Feedback, my weekly visit,, speaking to the MD etc.... eventually I said I wanted another QQ to use as I had no more confidence. A week later I got the “Wink” from our Dealer that a complete New Connect System (not the problem you have) would be replaced and it was and it cost around €4500 - so I was a Happy Man.
I have mentioned this before but for me the Contact with the Dealer / Personnel is worth its weight in Gold.

Noosy, all the Best with your troubles let’s hope there is a Happy Ending - Keep at it Dave 👍
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken