Timing Chain

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Laura3112
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Laura3112 »

Hi,

I just wondered if any one could help, i bought a second hand qashqai 2009 2 litre diesel with 136,000 miles in jan 2020. In April it starting making a noise and as i had a 6 month warranty i took it back to the dealer i bought it from. He told me to book it in with garage he uses next door. I did and they said it needed wheel bearings done and that it wasnt covered by the warranty as it was classed as wear and tear. This garage also carried out the MOT just before i purchased the car. These have been replaced though not through that particular garage.
Then just at the end of Oct my car cut out on dual carriage way. I was towed home by AA. Took it to a garage who said my engine was seized and it was the timing chain. I would need a new engine at the cost of £3500.... They have not touched engine but ran diagnostics and this is what it came up with. They did not really want to strip engine and re build as its time consuming etc. I have also been told that the 2 litre is fairly rare when it comes to parts and not really made anymore? I have also been told that timing chains should last the life of the car and don't need to be changed and should not be snapping?, that Nissans seem to have some issues with timing chains on certain models? Basically i just want to know if there is anything i could do? ( Im a single parent who saved for a good while to buy the car and now im without one and don't have the money to buy another so im pretty devastated.) Do i have any come back with the dealer i bought it through , it was an independent dealer not Nissan or large dealer etc, do i have any come back to Nissan themselves in that it shouldn't be snapping? Thanks

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I'm not familiar much with the Mark 1 and not with diesel engines at all, but the later petrol engines only require a timing chain replacement at 175,000 miles.

I suspect it's too long a period since purchase to be able to claim on the supplying dealer.

Let's see what others might say.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I have found this comment on Facebook:

The replacement of the timing chain according to the dealers never needs replacing, during the years we have seen plenty of timing chains snap resulting in a fully rebuilt engine being required and a very expensive repair bill. This normally happens at around 110,000 miles therefore we advice you change your timing chain every 100,000 miles to prolong the life of your engine.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Dealer sells "as seen" and you may get a guarantee of 3 months. With some of them that would be an area of intense argument. Some may help with a used engine? It sounds rather costly altogether.

Does the car have any service/repair history documents?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

They had a six month warranty but ten months have elapsed.
davej
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by davej »

Just add my thoughts, which may be helpful. On the later 1,6dci engine I have, the service book says that the timing chain needs replacing at 180k miles, recently my garage took the engine out to replace the Turbo, which had failed and while it was out they replace a number of parts that included the timing chain and oil chain. The bottom line was that in their view the chain wasn't worn despite its 170K miles. However, while the engine was out then they did 2700£ worth of work on it replacing as a precaution, water pump, EGR valve, chains, aux belt, feedpipes oils etc. I think you have been unlucky but its very dependent on how the engine has been treated and serviced.

See if your garage can source a second hand engine and install it. I am afraid that at 10monthsits well out of the used warranted period. I love my QQ BUT its definitely NOT as longlasting as our other car a toyota, which now has 317K!
DJ