Vehicle/DPF Monitoring - Scangauge

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

Hi folks,

So with a bit of spare time over the Christmas/New Year's break, and some concern of my car's DPF, given that it's mainly been short trips within the city recently, I've ventured down a deep rabbit hole of vehicle diagnostics, CANBUS and x-gauges.

First of all messing around with the torque pro software, and then getting sick of bring up the phone or tablet, connecting to the bluetooth and launching the app, I instead decided to take the plunge and invest in a standalone scangauge 2 unit.

Using some PIDs found on the internet, along with learning the x-gauge details in order to bring them into the scangauge, I've temporarily mounted it on the dash (although I need to work out somewhere better, probably on the centre console somewhere), and are currently displaying DPF status, soot load, exhaust temp and transmission temp.

qq_dpf.jpg

(This was on first startup so everything's still cold).

I was just wondering if anyone else has gone down this rabbithole, and what you've been able to come up with, as well as any other useful diagnostics, you've been able to uncover/monitor on your Qashqai, and any OBD2 PIDs you can share.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

@aussiebob can you post the car details - type and engine details here please.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

The car is a 2014 Qashqai TL model, diesel with CVT auto.

The PIDs/codes I used where in fact listed from other Nissan vehicles, as there doesn't seem to be much information regarding codes for the Qashqai, so they don't seem to be too vehicle specific.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

aussiebob wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am The car is a 2014 Qashqai TL model, diesel with CVT auto.

The PIDs/codes I used where in fact listed from other Nissan vehicles, as there doesn't seem to be much information regarding codes for the Qashqai, so they don't seem to be too vehicle specific.
What is the engine size (2ltr?) and type designation. There are PIDs (sensor data) in diagnostics for 4 engines i have and 2 are petrol. I'd be guessing if I thought they were common...might be? I have type R9M and K9K as diesels..I think they are?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

Engine capacity is 1.6TD - I believe it's R9M

The same scangauge/codes have also been tested on another Nissan using a 2.0L M9R

I have also been trying to work out a baseline as to what these values should be. Glad to say it looks like after a year of mostly short trips, it looks like my DPF appears to be in quite good state still.

From what I can figure is the DPF Soot Level (in grams) seems to get to about 25 or 30 before a regeneration starts up.

To know when the regeneration starts, from what I can figure, exhaust temperature sits around 200-250 degrees under normal driving, increasing during regeneration to 550-600 degrees.
The DPF status seems to be 1 normally, and changes to 3 when the regeneration starts. The only other figure I've seen for this is 7 when the engine is turned off.

Transmission fluid temperature seems to sit around 50-60 degree during normal driving conditions but I did see that climb up to around 85 whilst doing some mild towing on a fairly hot day.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Yep....the DPF has to be heated considerably. Attached is the Diagnostics for R9M and is not up to date really....might help? I'm not Diesel experienced.
EC9_Diesel+-+ENGINE+CONTROL+SYSTEM+(R9M).pdf
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

Thankyou - I shall pour over that document to see if I can work out any further engine parameters worth monitoring.

Most of all I wanted to know the state of the DPF as the car has been sitting quite idle, and the trips that I have been making for the most part have been very short metro trips, which generally are not good for a diesel, or DPF, however from what I've seen so far it looks like my car is in great shape in that regard.

With this, at least, I can see when a DPF regeneration is doing to be due, and more importantly, when a DPF regen is in progress, and if necessary maybe go home the long way (and on some higher speed roads) if a regen is in progress, rather than interrupting it.
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

So looks like there is little interest out there from others... but I thought I'd wrap up this thread.

So looks like my fears of DPF issues due to little use/short trips was unfounded. I was even surprised to see a regen kick off with still, I believe, fairly low soot level, and complete within a short 15 minute metropolitan drive, during which there were no higher speed zones - all 60kph maximum speed limits, and lots of stopping for traffic signals and traffic.

The scangauge has ended up mounted below the centre console, in front of the gear selector, just above the parking brake switch using a steelie magnetic mobile phone mount..

DSC_1399_resize.jpg

I managed to locate a number of parameters, some of which may be of interest, some temperatures and pressures. Some might be worth logging over a longer drive with torque, but has little use for instantaneous monitoring. There certainly does seem to be quite a number of parameters related to DPF.

Screenshot_20210124-164621_re.jpg

One thing that I will note is that the Torque Pro app is terrible for temperatures. The air temp seems stuck on 20 degrees celcius (On this day ambient temp was far higher at about 40 degrees) and what it tracks as coolant temp and transmission temperature but seem to read the same value at all times, but don't seem to match the actual PIDs for either coolant water temp or transmission temp that I had found.

Similarly a number of other parameters like the throttle position seem to be stuck at 88%, whereas other programmed PIDs were able to show the current throttle position.
Last edited by aussiebob on Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I suppose its impossible to determine what the software does as regards processing individual PIDs. I've never looked closely at it but am very wary of a hiding to nothing. For anything serious on this subject I suspect you'd have to pay a lot of money for bespoke software or write it yourself.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

Yes - the correct engine information certainly is out there, if you look hard enough, and know how to interpret a few things (or are willing to learn).

The torque app is is fully programmable, just that out of the box a number of things seem to be non functional, and more importantly, completely wrong.
All of the gauges on that page except for the incorrect "Coolant", "Transmission Temp" and "Air temp" were custom programmed in.
Similarly the Accelerator position was also custom programmed in, with the defaults gauges reporting some strange results.
If the transmission is at 92 degrees on a routine drive, I believe that that is cause for concern, however using alternative PIDs found listed on the internet, the 75 degree temperature seems more reasonable.

For me, I was using the app to test pid information and check responses for processing, and entering into the scangauge, as it's easier to enter and grab the results (I can just screenshot on the tablet) to check/workout what values are working, and just how they should be interpreted. After that I am entering the data into the scangauge, which I find much better for ongoing use/monitoring due to it's simplicity (and not having to get the phone/tablet out and starting the app every time).