Wheel Well Tekna

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
phatboy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by phatboy »

Yup that’s correct, you need the foam spacers....
2018 Qashqai Tekna + DCT Dig-T 160

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mostyn, I posted on your other post and yes you have your answer from phatboy great ! ✅ If of interest these are what I ordered from Glyn Hopkins in the UK and got them sent out here. See the attached for information and as usual what most do is to shop around on the web for the Best prices - Dave 👍😊

A6AF512F-DA0B-40BE-B988-D9795D5C2693.jpeg

F44602B8-2F70-4F9A-9AA7-CBAB30C4258D.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
orphic_audio
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by orphic_audio »

Hi, just bought my new (old) Qashqai - it's a 2012 Tekna with the Bose speaker kit. While the car is in amazing condition (53k miles with FSH) there was no foam in the boot and the flimsy boot liner just wobbles on top of the sub.

Looking here I should get a 17" X-Trail space saver - but if I buy those J11 inserts, will they fit the J10 boot space?

There's also someone on ebay had a good deal on a 16" wheel including foam supports and tools - but it looks like the sub will sit too high inside the 16" wheel for the foam to be any use, and I'd have to get a new bolt to fix it in. Is that the case?

The other option is get a 17" wheel and just build my own under-floor storage supports using a load of MDF and a bit of foam for shock absorption.

Also there were no tools included, but other than the locking wheel nut I'm guessing my current tools will do - got the scissor jack off my old RAV4 although will check the weight limit first - otherwise guessing a 2 ton scissor jack will do the trick?
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

Hi,

You should be able to buy J10 foam inserts for the boot, J11 won't fit without butchering. Instead of adding more weight with MDF, consider using a sheet of foam, or rigid insulation.

Yes you will need a 17" spare wheel for the subwoofer to sit properly.

Tools wise, you will need a wrench, and possibly the plastic tool to remove the wheel but covers.
orphic_audio

Post by orphic_audio »

Ah thanks for that - I FINALLY found a single set of J10 spacers for sale online (can't find em anywhere!) and they are indeed significantly different. That said I'm tempted to butcher them anyway to fit more useful tools in there! The car is a BIG improvement over the old Rav4 but the one downside is I've lost a ton of under-boot space.
orphic_audio

Post by orphic_audio »

Well, I fitted the J10 foam spacers, and got a 17" X-Trail Space Saver with the specs 155/80/17R - Wheel fits fine although on mine the sub still sits higher than the edge of the wheel - it also took quite a lot of work to get the screw in there and I had to put a lot of pressure on the sub to make it bite - but eventually it worked!

Thankfully despite being higher than the wheel the top of the sub was level with the top of the foam spacers so the boot carpet still sat fairly flat.

Also managed to squeeze a fair bit of stuff in there after a few minutes hacking at the foam with a stanley knife. Might "edit" it a bit more and create some more useful compartments.

phatboy

Post by phatboy »

It looks like you fitted the spare wheel face up.... you need to fit it face down!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Orphic_audio, Just a short comment ! With reference to the comment made by Phatboy. I believe he is correct in that the Spare Wheel should be in the other direction.
Also it does appear the QQ J10 Sub-Woofer has been upgraded on the QQ J11 Models (larger) and appears totally different - Dave 😉

Showing Reversed Wheel :

C0070EDD-758B-485A-9907-2CBAE13D711C.jpeg

QQ J10 Bose Sub-Woofer :

9CC005F2-9B8C-4B55-9A14-F88FF7D8E5D6.jpeg

QQ J11 Bose Sub-Woofer :

187DAD48-EF99-4BAA-95F9-A65D4D1ADCC6.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
orphic_audio

Post by orphic_audio »

Hi, nah the wheel is actually the right way up! The sub there is sat within the concave section of the wheel (if it was the other way round it would have been several inches too high) I just think the inner metal part on this particular wheel isn't as flush with the boot floor - or maybe the J11 sub is flatter as well as wider.
Either way the wheel specs themselves seem to better match my 18" alloys than the original 16" space saver, and it was £75 delivered off eBay with what looks like a brand new tyre, so probs as cheap as I was gonna get one.
JBFUK

Post by JBFUK »

Thanks all for this thread, really useful info. We picked up my wife's 2019 Tekna on Friday and getting a spare wheel is one of the tasks on my todo list. I think I'm going to go for the option Terry posed about (https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/17-space ... shqai.html) as it seems to fit perfectly with no faffing or worries about the wrong size tyre etc etc.

One question I have. Is it normal that in the Tekna, storing the upper boot pieces in the lower boot bed is near impossible? There's not really enough clearance to drop the upper boot floor tiles into the lower section for storage (as I have seen many doing and promoting as a 'design feature'). I checked the foam inserts to make sure they are properly sitting on the bodywork with no junk underneath and I also checked the carpet cover to ensure it was correctly placed so not sitting higher than it should - but getting the top floor pieces slid down under the plastic brackets is almost impossible. The only way I managed it was to slide in the rear tile upside down so the angled edge allowed me to lift it slightly, enabling me to get the front piece under it a little when sliding in. It was still incredibly tight and any more force would have broken something. No way my wife could manage to remove them.

It seems like either the foam parts are about 1cm or so too high, or in the design process someone forgot about the extra clearance required for the soundproofing stuck to the back of the carpet.

Annoying because we have to use the lower boot for the pushchair to fit in, but I don't want to store the upper boot boards in the house/garage.