Tyre pressure sensor light ON

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
atanasovstefan
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by atanasovstefan »

Hey guys,
I own Qashqai II(J11) 2016 and every season I have the same problem, when I change my tires for summer or winter season my TPMS light goes ON.
Previous two times that I have change my tires, I calibrate the system, reset the tyre maintenance, and somehow it works. This time, it doesn't.
I put on the winter tires, forgot to calibrate, I didn't check the tyre pressure and on my way home the light turned ON. It was for a couple of days like that, I didn't had time to fix it.

Yesterday, while the tyres were cold, I adjust the pressure as it should be, reset the tyre maintenance, calibrate and the light turned off. While driving for a bit, the system registered the pressure. But after a couple of minutes of driving, the light turned ON again, and the system didn't show the tyre pressure anymore.

Tried this morning again, reset the maintenance, calibrate, light goes OFF. I drove for a bit, system register how much pressure the tires have but after a couple of minutes of driving, the light goes ON and the system doesn't show the tire pressure anymore.

I don't know if the sensor is damaged, but if it is, how it reads how much there is pressure in the tyres for some time, before the TPMS light turn on?

I tried to find someone on the forum with the same problem, but I couldn't, usually after the resetting the maintenance and calibration people solve their problem.

Have anybody had same problem, and how did you fixed it?

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I can't recall a similar issue.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
atanasovstefan

Post by atanasovstefan »

Today I have noticed that after a calibrate the tyre pressure, I drive for 5 minutes and 55 seconds, and the light goes ON again, it did three times today the same.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

atanasovstefan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 pm Today I have noticed that after a calibrate the tyre pressure, I drive for 5 minutes and 55 seconds, and the light goes ON again, it did three times today the same.
Approx 5 mins is about the time taken for the tyres to warm up so that true pressure can be measured by TPMS.

It suggests that tyre pressures are wrong (too high/low) or the TPMS is in error. Either the TPMS unit or a TP sensor problem?

Check all tyre pressures when tyres warm (drive for 10 - 15 mins). Use a reliable tyre pressure gauge.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

It may be a battery failure in one of the sensors. I must admit I didn't know they had them, had to google it, but then how else would they work :) apparently the batteries should last about 10 years
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Qashowner wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:38 pm It may be a battery failure in one of the sensors. I must admit I didn't know they had them, had to google it, but then how else would they work :) apparently the batteries should last about 10 years

They could have used kinetic energy. My doorbell button is wireless and batteryless. It works by converting the physical action of pushing into a radio signal.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

gloucester wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 am
Qashowner wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:38 pm It may be a battery failure in one of the sensors. I must admit I didn't know they had them, had to google it, but then how else would they work :) apparently the batteries should last about 10 years

They could have used kinetic energy. My doorbell button is wireless and batteryless. It works by converting the physical action of pushing into a radio signal.
You would have thought that the better option not to use batteries, but it would appear form searching the net they opted for a 10 year life battery. Maybe the cost?
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
atanasovstefan

Post by atanasovstefan »

I thought the same, but then, for 5 minutes it works, read the level of the air pressure in the tyres, and then after 5 minutes fail to register it anymore. So I would assume the batteries works fine.

Today I went after a drive to a gas station to check the pressure, it was actually very low, the computer readings were so wrong. I think I should just take it to some mechanic, I have tried everything that I can came up with.
yessi

Post by yessi »

atanasovstefan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:55 pm
I thought the same, but then, for 5 minutes it works, read the level of the air pressure in the tyres, and then after 5 minutes fail to register it anymore. So I would assume the batteries works fine.

Today I went after a drive to a gas station to check the pressure, it was actually very low, the computer readings were so wrong. I think I should just take it to some mechanic, I have tried everything that I can came up with.
What was your resolution here?

I've just had 2 new tyres fitted to the front of the car and now only one of them is reading a number. Unluckily for me It also had it's MOT yesterday and because of the light being on it has failed.
Deckelpc
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Deckelpc »

A bit of a late post but the tpms sensors use a battery (commonly a CR2032 I think which unless your handy with a soldering iron can’t be changed) I bought a 67 plate qashqai in January 2021 which showed the front driver position tpms with no value. The light only appeared after about 5-10 minutes driving. Long story short, after 2 trips to the dealer they changed the sensor in that tyre and all’s been well since so I’d say your battery is failing in the sensor.
2018 1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta - Nightshade