J12 Internet connection

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Steve101
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Steve101 »

I’m confused. Looking at connections/wifi I can see the car is connected to ‘car hotspot’. I thought that was a paid for service, as far as I know I haven’t subscribed to it!

I was looking to tether my iPhone to the car, I can see no way of doing it, as far as I can see there is no way to search for new networks.

My queries are, am I right in thinking the ‘car hotspot’ is a subscribed service.

Do I need to tether my phone wifi to the car, or shall I continue with the ‘car hotspot’?

How do you search for new networks?

Any advice / guidance would be much appreciated. Despite reading the Nissan Connect Manual a number of times I’m confused.

Thanks

Steve
Tekna J12, magnetic blue, black roof.

Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

The in-car WiFi/WiFi hotspot, using the Qashqai as a tether, is always a paid for service, according to Nissan.

See this thread for the current prices to subscribe to that particular service: viewtopic.php?t=12083 :shock:

This is taken from the Qashqai digital brochure (from 2021):

(1) Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto are available from Acenta Premium grade upwards. For more information, please contact your Nissan dealer.
(2) Free services (Nissan on Google Assistant, Driving History & Analysis, Nissan Help & Assistance, Breakdown Assistance) are available free of charge for a period of 7 years, depending on model and/or grade. For more information, please contact your Nissan dealer.
(3) Maps & Live Traffic, Remote Control Services, Smart Alerts are available free of charge for a period of 3 years and then available for a fee £0.99/m (Smart Alerts), £1.99/m (Remote Control Services), £2.99/m (Maps & Live Traffic) depending on model and/or grade. For more information, please contact your Nissan dealer.
(4) In-Car WiFi is always a paid service available on subscription. For more information, please contact your Nissan dealer
(5) To use the NissanConnect services you need a NissanConnect user account and have to register and log in to NissanConnect with your username and password. To use the free Nissan Connect App, you need a smartphone with a compatible iOS or Android operating system and a SIM card with data option with an existing or separate mobile phone contract between you and your mobile service provider. All services are subject to mobile network coverage.
The use of NissanConnect on-board internet is made possible via an integrated wireless internet connection. Data packets are be obtained via selected external mobile communication providers in accordance with their terms and conditions (depending on the availability in your country).
*Amazon, Alexa and all related marks are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
The feature responsiveness and use can be impacted when car is receiving a bad signal. For optimal use, please make sure your car is under good network coverage.
Connecting a mobile phone to use NissanConnect should only be done when the car is parked safely. Use of the system should always be in accordance with the rules of The Highway Code. Drivers should only use the system when it is safe to do so. Users should be aware of the potential for hands-free technology to distract attention from the road, which could impact on having full control of the vehicle.
For further information, please visit www.nissan.co.uk and your Nissan Dealer.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

If you use the Nissan Connect app, you can check the status and end dates for all the various services by clicking the shopping trolley icon 🛒 in the top right-hand corner of the app:

F1D77AB2-DB19-4DAB-B833-0FA55C202240.jpeg

F7828497-89D0-4689-BA91-3639BCEF0C0B.jpeg

448C65BA-472B-40A5-8E7D-E901CFFF5F4A.jpeg

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Steve101
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Steve101 »

Sandgrounder wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm If you use the Nissan Connect app, you can check the status and end dates for all the various services by clicking the shopping trolley icon 🛒 in the top right-hand corner of the app:

Many thanks - very helpful. I have checked the shopping basket there is no reference to ‘car hotspot’. I’m confident I haven’t subscribed to it, but my QQ is showing I’m connected to it. Very strange.

If I wanted to tether my smartphone do you know how to search for networks?

Looked everywhere can’t see how to.

Many thanks

Steve
Tekna J12, magnetic blue, black roof.
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

I only know how to tether other devices to my iPhone.

I’ve not seen anything on the Infotainment/Connect screen to suggest how to do it because when I use wireless Apple CarPlay, it disables a lot of the functionality of the Nissan system (a lot of the menu items are greyed out).

I think wireless Apple CarPlay uses a combination of WiFi and Bluetooth? :?
xavpiq

Post by xavpiq »

Steve101 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:26 pm
Sandgrounder wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm If you use the Nissan Connect app, you can check the status and end dates for all the various services by clicking the shopping trolley icon 🛒 in the top right-hand corner of the app:

Many thanks - very helpful. I have checked the shopping basket there is no reference to ‘car hotspot’. I’m confident I haven’t subscribed to it, but my QQ is showing I’m connected to it. Very strange.

If I wanted to tether my smartphone do you know how to search for networks?

Looked everywhere can’t see how to.

Many thanks

Steve
The car has a wifi network you can connect to, named "Mycar+numbers", and this is the hotspot function afa I understand. The point is that if you don't pay you won't have the internet connection. Disable the data connection in your phone and check: you can connect to the wifi but no internet.
Qashqai J12 N-Connecta, 140 hp manual.
mcscoty

Post by mcscoty »

Just tried this as I was also confused. The car will allow you to select Car hotspot and display the network name and password. If you use your phone to connect to WIFI it will connect, but you will not have an internet connection unless you have paid and will be taken to a page asking you to subscribe via the Nissan App.

To do this open Nissan Connect and then click on the basket, this will take you to Nissan Shop and you can add it that way. 50GB over a year for 88 quid and 4G only so you might be better clicking on WIFI and accept the disconnect warning and search for your phones hotspot instead.