J12- Multiple phone book entries for same phone number when using voice recognition

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
tonythehoolet
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by tonythehoolet »

Hi, just picked up a new QASHQAI Tekna Bose Xtronic. So far so good but I'm experiencing one minor issue when trying to make a phone call using the voice recognition.
My Android Samsung phone is connected via bluetooth (not Android auto).
When I speak into the voice recognition system say "Call Fred Bloggs" then 2 numbers for Fred Bloggs appear on my screen (one with a phone icon next to it) and I am then asked to select number 1 or number 2 before the call is made. This adds an extra step and delay into the process of making a phone call and is a little annoying.
There is only one entry for "Fred Bloggs" in my phone book diary.

This issue is across the board for all phone numbers.

Anyone else with this issue/ thoughts on how to fix this?

Many thanks

hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

It sounds like you might have the numbers saved both on your sim and on the phone itself - have you backed up your contacts to the sim in your phone? Or have you downloaded your contacts from the phone to the car rather than just bluetooth?

You can usually select which source you want the numbers to come from - have a look in the phone settings in the car.
Last edited by hootintootin on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

The suggestion above is plausible. I store my numbers in Google Contacts and haven't experienced the problem (on my current car or my Qashqai)
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
tonythehoolet

Post by tonythehoolet »

Hi, thanks for the replies. My phone numbers are only stored in my phone memory via Google contacts, not also on the SIM so that is not the issue. THe manual does state that - as is normal - when a bluetooth connection is made the phone book data is transferred into the system (alongside the call log etc) but I cant see why that would lead to multiple entries.

Not sure about whether I have also downloaded separately to the car though - whilst I can't recall everything I pressed when connecting for the first time I am not aware that I asked for a separate download into the cars memory (wouldn't be a good thing to do anyway as phone and car would end up out of sync?) In case this is what has happened, any idea how to delete the memory in the car?

@hootintootin I dont think there's an option to select which source I want the numbers to come from
Wiganlad

Post by Wiganlad »

I had a mk3 Leon that did this, not saying it's the same but there were update/delete/sync phonebook options, pretty sure it had space for upto 3 phonebooks.
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

I would suggest deleting the phone from the system and starting again ( be interesting see whether anything is in the phonebook after that.. Perhaps even ask someone else to connect with their phone and see what it does.

Normally the car does sync the phonebook via bluetooth however you can select download PB as an option.

I've not heard of anyone else with a J12 with this issue so it sounds unique to you and something to do with your setup or your phone (do you have more than one google account with contacts in?
tonythehoolet

Post by tonythehoolet »

We have 2 users/ phones that connect to the system and the symptom is the same with both of them. Contacts on both of them are only in one place and one account (synced with google)
I did try deleting my phone, then reconnecting via bluetooth,one time with the automatic phone book download turned off and one time with it turned on and we still have the problem. The download PB option was "on" by default when I got the car.
My guess is that the automatic phone book download is keeping the numbers in the Nissan connect memory (somewhere... and keeping them even when the phone is deleted) and then the voice recognition software checks both phone and the Nissan connect memory when a name is called hence the multiple entries.

I may do a "reset" of all settings to see if I can start from scratch but not sure what else this will impact...
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

Sounds sensible to do a reset to overcome the issue and delete the downloaded phonebook. Or speak to your dealer to see if they can work out what's gone awry with your settings.
tonythehoolet

Post by tonythehoolet »

Think I am just going to have to live with this one until a software update resolves the issue or another user finds a workaround.

I made sure that the flag to download the phonebook was off and did a settings reset on the car (which also entailed having to rep-rogram all my radio favourites and reconfigure the widgets on the screen). Phone settings are greyed out until a phone is connected. I then reconnected one phone via bluetooth. As soon as I did so and gave it permission to access contacts it looks like it downloaded the phone book (the flag had turned itself back on) and I was back to where I started with this phone. I then connected for new a second phone having turned the download phone book flag back off again. Same problem again.
This is my wife's car and she doesnt make as many phone calls while driving as I do so living with it is likely to be less annoying for her than it would be for me.... thankfully no such issues on my non Nissan car.

Thanks for trying to help!
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

No other J12 owner has reported this issue on here on Facebook as far as I can see. I doubt Nissan will be working on a software fix as they won't be aware of it unless you take it back to the dealer and report the issue.

Did your wife connect her own phone or did you do that? Just if she didn't sometimes a different way of doing things might be the fix here.