QQ is dead but battery is fully charged.

ICE, Equipment, Options
Barge01
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Barge01 »

Hello!
I have a 2007 QQ 2 litre Tekna and my wife dropped me off over the weekend and when she went to use the car again an hour later it was completely dead; no clicking sound whatsoever when turning the key, no dash lights, no noise form the engine - nothing. I have researched several hours of video and so fare I have tested the battery with a multimeter and it registered 12.6 volts so it's all good. I have tried to jump start it but again nothing. One video said if there has been a noise from the engine when driving it could be the alternator, but there hasn't been one.

Further videos have suggested that in such cases, to test all the electrics leading from the battery back to the ignitions switch at the steering wheel. I don't know where the start motor on the car is and didn't fancy getting on the floor etc not knowing exactly what I'm doing, but from the evidence I've seen, the ignition switch seems likely. This is where it gets complicated, for me at a least, is a mechanic for a large chain who used to live next door phoned and said that if it was a car with the remote alarm and starter that I would have to take it to a Nissan dealer for them to sort out as it was more than likely a problem with the alarm/remote which would have to be re-programmed by Nissan as at his place they could run diagnostics for certain things but didn't have the software to re-programme the remote key.

Before I get further into getting a tow truck, dealer involved etc, has anyone else had such a problem or is it likely to be the ignition switch alone? and if it is the ignitions switch, do I have to have the remote key re-programmed after installing a new one anyway?

Thanks!

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

When you say "completely dead" do you mean nothing at all is working? If so first of all I'd check the connections - are the terminals properly seated etc, and most importantly is the earth cable intact and not fractured.

Or do you mean that the lights etc ARE working but nothing happens when trying to start the car.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Barge01

Post by Barge01 »

Thanks for the welcome and comments.

By dead I mean there is absolutely nothing: no lights, no indicators, no radio, no internal lights and no sound/click when you turn the ignition to acc or on. I just tried using a multimeter on the fusebox on what I think is the I.S. and nothing registers at all went to a minus.

The battery connects are good, but I am not 100% sure on the earth cable.... it's not obvious as there are more connections than I imagined.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Take a jump lead from the Batt -ve terminal and connect to engine body somewhere to test ground (earth)...see if anything changes with ignition on...like radio/dash instruments etc. Don't start it. If doing this and power returns find the ground cable/connect fault.

If you are not competent at electrics don't do the following.

If you think the -ve and +ve cable connects are ok the next port of call is the IPDM (INTELLIGENT POWER DISTRIBUTION MODULE). Check for 12v and ground within this module but be careful...its expensive stuff. The starter motor relay is in this unit and I don't know which one. The Ignition relay is here also...again I don't know which one but testing that is better than digging out the ignition switch.

IPDM should be a flat square-ish unit to the right side of the battery. Be careful.. :)
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Barge01 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:45 am Hello!
I have a 2007 QQ 2 litre Tekna and my wife dropped me off over the weekend and when she went to use the car again an hour later it was completely dead; no clicking sound whatsoever when turning the key, no dash lights, no noise form the engine - nothing. I have researched several hours of video and so fare I have tested the battery with a multimeter and it registered 12.6 volts so it's all good. I have tried to jump start it but again nothing. One video said if there has been a noise from the engine when driving it could be the alternator, but there hasn't been one.

Further videos have suggested that in such cases, to test all the electrics leading from the battery back to the ignitions switch at the steering wheel. I don't know where the start motor on the car is and didn't fancy getting on the floor etc not knowing exactly what I'm doing, but from the evidence I've seen, the ignition switch seems likely. This is where it gets complicated, for me at a least, is a mechanic for a large chain who used to live next door phoned and said that if it was a car with the remote alarm and starter that I would have to take it to a Nissan dealer for them to sort out as it was more than likely a problem with the alarm/remote which would have to be re-programmed by Nissan as at his place they could run diagnostics for certain things but didn't have the software to re-programme the remote key.

Before I get further into getting a tow truck, dealer involved etc, has anyone else had such a problem or is it likely to be the ignition switch alone? and if it is the ignitions switch, do I have to have the remote key re-programmed after installing a new one anyway?

Thanks!
If you are getting 12.6 volts at the battery terminals but the car does not start and no electrics are coming on whatsoever. I would check the main fuses on the battery, if not the battery terminals or earthing is not attached. That would not be the alternator. Is it also possible your battery was dead or could have been 2.6 volts?
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Have you tried jumper leads from another car?
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car