Largest Possible Brake Rotors?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
johngalt
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by johngalt »

I have a Nissan Qashqai generation J12 1.3 DIG-T 4WD XTRONIC-CVT and live on a mountain. The trips down are very hard on my brakes / brake rotors. The heat is intense, and I have no downshift option available as it's an automatic.

Does anyone with the 19 inch wheels have experience upgrading to a larger size brake rotor and pads? I'm hoping between a larger size and drilled rotor, that they will stay cool enough to not warp.

Would love a specific suggestion known to fit, with or without an adapter plate. My current guess is that I need to keep the rotor to 380mm or smaller, but I haven't been able to come up with much more than that

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide..

MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the forum.
I have absolutely no idea what the answer might be but Good Luck.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
rms3205
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by rms3205 »

I'm only guessing, and will be put right by others more knowledgeable than me if I am wrong, but won't the diameter of the rotor/disk be dictated by the location of the calipers? Would/can they be modified? I for one would not want anyone messing with my braking system.
2016 1.5cdi Tekna in red (wife picked the colour) No upgrades apart from a couple of brushed steel sticky on bits for some switches/vents.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Quite apart from invalidating the warranty if you mess around with the brakes (which no one's reported doing on a J12), surely the answer is simply to manually select a low (virtual) gear? I haven't driven a Qashqai CVT but other automatics always have a low gear selection possibility.

Manual shift mode (where fitted)

When using the paddle shifters while the Ds Drive Sport) mode, the transmission enters the manual shift mode. Shift range can be selected manually using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

When shifting up, pull the right-side paddle shifter (+). The transmission shifts to the higher range.

When shifting down, pull the left-side paddle shifter (−). The transmission shifts to the lower range.

To cancel manual shift mode, move the shift lever to the D (Drive) position. The transmission changes to D (Drive). To return to Ds (Drive Sport) pull and hold the paddle shifter for about 1.5 seconds. When you pull the paddle shifter while in the D (Drive) Position, the transmission will shift to the upper or lower range temporarily. The transmission will automatically return to the D (Drive) position after a short period of time.

If you want to return to the D (Drive) position manually move the shift lever to D (Drive) position, or pull and hold the paddle shifter for about 1.5 seconds.

In the manual shift mode, the shift range is displayed in the vehicle information display.

Shift ranges up or down one by one as follows:
1st $ 2nd $ 3rd $ 4th $ 5th $ 6th $ 7th

7 (7th):
Use this position for all normal forward driving at highway speeds.

6 (6th) and 5 (5th):
Use these positions when driving up long slopes, or for engine braking when driving down long slopes.

4 (4th), 3 (3rd) and 2 (2nd):
Use these positions for hill climbing or engine braking on downhill grades.

1 (1st):
Use this position when climbing steep hills slowly or driving slowly through deep snow, or for maximum engine braking on steep downhill grades.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Is there not paddle shift on the steering wheel? I thought, maybe wrongly, that was Nissans answer to not having a "manual" selection on the gear stick.

On older models, there is cruise control and speed limiter and on my CVT auto the speed limiter uses the gearbox to maintain the speed
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
johngalt

Post by johngalt »

I just double checked, and there are no paddle shifters. Sounds like I'm stuck burning up brake pads and rotors.
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

AFAIK a CVT transmission has no true gears as such !
I don't know what kind of mountain you live on, but if it is like ... 2 miles high I don't think
a CVT transmission was the right choice (???).
BTW I have been driving about 800 miles in Tenerife up and down hills and the Teide vulcano slopes over there and I
completely burned the brakes and .... I drove a MT6 manual transmission Opel.
I used braking on the engine as much as possible, but still ... !
What this would mean for a CVT car I can only hope ... I am mistaken about this !
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

If you do anything to the front , you must do something to the rear as you could create an imbalance !

Try the Brembo catalogue for ideas of kits
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

johngalt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:27 pm I just double checked, and there are no paddle shifters. Sounds like I'm stuck burning up brake pads and rotors.

What trim version do you have? And where are you? In the UK you'd have a Tekna if you have 19" wheels.

As far as I can tell from the brochures, in the UK the paddle shifters are standard on Acenta Premium and upwards. And the only lower trim level - Visia - can't be had with the CVT.

So paddle shifters are standard across the range for CVT equipped cars, and they're pretty obvious!

front.jpg

back.jpg

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
johngalt

Post by johngalt »

gloucester wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:57 pm
johngalt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:27 pm I just double checked, and there are no paddle shifters. Sounds like I'm stuck burning up brake pads and rotors.

What trim version do you have? And where are you? In the UK you'd have a Tekna if you have 19" wheels.

As far as I can tell from the brochures, in the UK the paddle shifters are standard on Acenta Premium and upwards. And the only lower trim level - Visia - can't be had with the CVT.

So paddle shifters are standard across the range for CVT equipped cars, and they're pretty obvious!

front.jpgback.jpg
I'm in the jungle mountains of Panama, and around here, the dealer can't provide me with any trim information. This was the only automatic 4WD they offered across all their entire Nissan lineup.