Horn going off and how to remove the horn relay

ICE, Equipment, Options
drbob447
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by drbob447 »

Hi,

I have a problem with my 2019 Qashqai in that the horn has been randomly going on. This has happened at low speed pulling out of the drive, but also happened while the car was simply parked on the drive. When the horn goes off, you can stop it by hitting the horn again. Do you think that means it is a problem with the switch behind the wheel or might it also be the horn relay?

My problem is that I am off on holiday in the next couple of days and need the car to get to the airport. I want to temporarily remove the horn relay to disable the horn. I've found the right relay in the fuse box, but I'm not sure how to get it out. It doesn't seem to pull out by hand. Is it held in with a clip or something? I don't want to use undue force on it with tools and risk damaging it or the fuse board. Can anyone advise please?

As an alternative, is there a way of disconnecting the battery AND locking all of the doors? I can't seem to find any combination of doing this that doesn't either leave the passenger doors open or set the alarm off.

Thanks, Bob.

drbob447

Post by drbob447 »

Ignore the last bit about locking the doors... I was being a dimwit... I can do it with the key.

But any suggestions on getting the relay out gratefully received, then I can try a replacement relay before taking it into a garage for more extensive open heart surgery.

Thanks.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The horn relay is fed from the Battery directly and then onto the steering column spiral cable where the horn switch/button is.

It is fed by a 15A relay which might be F34 in one of the fuse boxes. So you might have to search around as the diagnostic diagrams don't show locations. Ditto relay location

Sorry for the lack of help...someone else might know?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the forum but sorry I can’t help
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
drbob447

Post by drbob447 »

calnorth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:51 am The horn relay is fed from the Battery directly and then onto the steering column spiral cable where the horn switch/button is.

It is fed by a 15A relay which might be F34 in one of the fuse boxes. So you might have to search around as the diagnostic diagrams don't show locations. Ditto relay location

Hi - thanks for the reply... I know where the relay is.... it's marked on the cover. But my real question was how to pull it out. Do these things just plug in (so you can use a monkey wrench or similar and just it out?). Or is there something else involved. Excuse the ignorance of my question, but I just don't want to use excess force and break something when there might be a little plastic tab or something you need to press in to release it!

Thanks, Bob.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

drbob447 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:08 pm
calnorth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:51 am The horn relay is fed from the Battery directly and then onto the steering column spiral cable where the horn switch/button is.

Hi - thanks for the reply... I know where the relay is.... it's marked on the cover. But my real question was how to pull it out. Do these things just plug in (so you can use a monkey wrench or similar and just it out?). Or is there something else involved. Excuse the ignorance of my question, but I just don't want to use excess force and break something when there might be a little plastic tab or something you need to press in to release it!

Thanks, Bob.
Original Post - Delete 15A relay...Insert 15A fuse.

Never had to pull one...so sorry, no help again.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta