Newbie here - advice on an expensive garage quote

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Elsie68
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Elsie68 »

HI folks

I booked my Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Dci 2015 plate car in to a local nissan dealer as my cruise control stopped working and I had a systems error appear. (75 000 miles)

They also had a look at other aspects and this it the quote I got. I would so much appreciate to know if this is reasonable as I got quite the shock

Supply and fit timing belt £576

Near and offside front and lower arms £334 each

Upstream temp sensor £654 although I have been warned that this is fiddly and may need an extra 4 hours of work done if they can't 'unscrew' it without something breaking

Glow plugs £258

This is in addition to the min service of £225

Thanks for your patience reading and grateful for any advice.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the forum

You have a list there that will enable you to get an easily comparable quote from a local trusted garage. I would ask friends, neighbours, colleagues and family for recommendations for a garage they trust and get a quote for the work. It should be less expensive

Good Luck
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Elsie68 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:45 am HI folks

I booked my Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Dci 2015 plate car in to a local nissan dealer as my cruise control stopped working and I had a systems error appear. (75 000 miles)

They also had a look at other aspects and this it the quote I got. I would so much appreciate to know if this is reasonable as I got quite the shock

Supply and fit timing belt £576

Near and offside front and lower arms £334 each

Upstream temp sensor £654 although I have been warned that this is fiddly and may need an extra 4 hours of work done if they can't 'unscrew' it without something breaking

Glow plugs £258

This is in addition to the min service of £225

Thanks for your patience reading and grateful for any advice.
hi
timing belt price is a bit over the top had mine done in march just over £400 with water-pump done at same time.
https://www.westwaynissan.co.uk/servicing/cambelt
front lowers arms again way over priced. were these on your mot as an warning ? as they would be pickup on mot test if there on the way out.
glow-plugs unless your haveing trouble starting the car i`d leave them (around £60 a set of 4)
i use a little local garage by me and i get all the parts they need and get them to fit them for me so i just pay for the fitting.
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Main dealer prices are a rip off, I had a quote to replace rear disc and pads and £350 + VAT which I had done for £150 all in. I have recently had a quote to replace my turbo £2700 + VAT which I am getting done for just over a grand. Find a local garage and get them to do it, even using genuine Nissan parts should work out a lot less.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Can't add anything to the advice already given apart from noting that the cambelt should have been changed in 2020 at 5 years old. Did you have the car then but elect not to do it?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Elsie68

Post by Elsie68 »

Hi I have another question if anyone can help. So I took advice and took my car from the dealer who told me I needed the timing belt done to a local garage. His quoted price was cheaper so very pleased. However I phoned today asking why I hadn't heard anything back after dropping the car off yesterday and it wasn't ready as he apparently needed to buy some new kit to remove the belt as my Qashquai is not like any other he has done before (Tenka 2015 model). He said it was costing him £350 to buy the kit so wasn't t too pleased about it and said he would have to have another 5 similar jobs to make back this money.

Then he called me two hours later to say that the manufacturer advises that the alternator belt and pulley (!) are best to be done at the same time as the timing belt at another £140 for me. I can't help but think this is a 'contribution' to the kit he said he had to buy. Has anyone else been told that these two things are recommended when changing the timing belt or am I just a sucker for all garages as a women 8-)
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

hi you seem to be haveing a bit of a nightmare, had all mine done in march this year around a 4hour job mine came to £350. i normally supply the parts i need fitting to my car when it goes in for things that i cannot do. but i got the garage to supply the belt etc this time as if ever it snapped within a year of putting it on they cannot moan at me for suppling a part that was faulty etc.
ok the parts your garage should be getting for your car (i`ve got the same yr and spec as yours)..
this is the belt and water pump kit https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-par ... 5xs-detail
this is the other belt they should be doing at the same time.. https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-par ... 195-detail
this is the tool kit that he hasn`t got i`m guessing the garage don`t do too many timing belts as i`d have thought he would have had this kit already as most kits cover a range of cars. https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/gates-t ... 60b-detail
and don`t forget the antifreeze i got mine from here but most nissan car sales with a parts dept should stock this around the same price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182041532063

hope this helps you a bit ;-)