Windscreen wipers not working

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
eleveneleven
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by eleveneleven »

Hey All

Windscreen Wipers have stopped working this morning, Is there anything I can check/ sort out myself before I get the mechanics involved?

I'm not very handy with a spanner FYI :lol: but willing to give it a go

Thanks in advance.

QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

first thing start with the fuses to see if it is blown
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta
eleveneleven
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by eleveneleven »

I've checked the fuse and appears to be fine. could it be the motor? if so how much (roughly) am I looking at for a replacement?
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

I had this issue last year with my J10. Apart from fuse and relay problems one common issue seems to be with the linkages between the wiper arms seizing up. You can by new sets of linkages but sometimes you can just get some replacment clips and bearings.

In my case it was the original wiper moter - 10 years old. The bearings had worn and the drive shaft was sticking. Its a bit of a bad design as water gets onto it.

Because I was short of time to get it fixed I bought a cheap knock of wiper motor from Amazon. No suprise that It came from the Middle Kingdom. It didn't have much power and after a few uses it died completely and I sent it back for a refund.

I then go the same OEM version at about 3 times the cost and it was infinetly better. The replacement job is easy to do and there are videos on Youtube on how to do it.