Water in fuel filter light wiring

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
delbhoy85
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by delbhoy85 »

I am just wondering if the wiring for the fuel filter light is in the relay box that is near the front passenger side of the engine?.
I am having issues with this light staying on after a filter change, the garage tried using the old sensor with the new filter to clear the light but did not work. They reckon it is to do with the wiring and I am wondering if the issue has come when the bodyshop that repaired some accident damage replaced the relay box cover on the passenger side of the engine?
Any help would be much appreciated
Red 2016 1.5dci n tec

andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Did they fit the correct fuel filter. As there are 2 filters one has a black and the other had a clear plastic on the top. Hopefully they replaced it with the same type as you had fitted originally 😉
dminnaar

Post by dminnaar »

I've got the same issue and done a decent amount of research (with no obvious solution yet, but its helpful info nonetheless). I'm assuming your 1.5dci is a 2014/15/16 J11.

There are three variants of filters:
- Those with the black top, first J11 revision (original)
- Those with the white top (updated for support of a higher engine ecm level, only some models (k9k)).

I inspected my filter and emptied the diesel over the weekend with no water in sight. Only some impurities at the bottom which I threw out. The light went away for 2 days and returned.

The complication is that not all filters 'compatible' with the car have the water sensors; I've seen black top ones with filter heating but no water sensor, and I've seen some with no heating and no sensors. I wasn't sure how to progress, so I called up a parts company who advised that a few people are experiencing this same issue. I googled a bit and found numerous forum threads with the exact same problem. The parts salesman advised me to source the original filter from Nissan themselves (note: all the forum thread posts also had replaced OEM filters, not surprising since the car isn't new).

I called Nissan up and interestingly enough they sell the sensor and filter separately, which makes sense because I don't think the sensors are consumables, like the filter (you could use the same sensor for multiple filters). Think it's around 50 quid for the sensor and 70 for the filter.

I think replacing the sensor itself is the best move, since its likely the OEM filter+sensor is cheaply made hence why everyone is complaining about it failing.
delbhoy85

Post by delbhoy85 »

I will need to look into this as I am sure that I had a black top on the 1 that I had and the 1 that I bought from eurocarparts had a white top on, the garage that fitted it for me said that it should not make a difference, I never realised that some do not have have the sensors. The garage tried to turn the light off using a diagnostic machine but it wouldn't work, would this be cause by the difference in the filter tops?
Red 2016 1.5dci n tec
Joker55

Post by Joker55 »

Had the same problem with my 64 plate qashqai ,the garage changed the fuel filter but replaced it with the wrong coloured top so the water in fuel light came on ,i found out by pure chance the what ever coloured the top is you must replace it with the same colour,when i told the garage they changed the filfer and the problem was solved ,hope this helps
vinissa

Post by vinissa »

Fuel filter with wrong code. just disassemble the electrical part and reverse