IMO Car Wash Thoughts?

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
dinkocroley
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by dinkocroley »

As a new member of this forum, I'm happy to share my thoughts on the IMO car wash services. I've used their services (at https://sparklewash.com/fleet-washing/) a few times, and I have to say, I've been pretty happy with the results. From what I've heard, some automated car washes can be rough on paintwork, but I've never had any issues with IMO. I've always found their staff to be friendly and the prices seem fair to.
Last edited by dinkocroley on Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave296
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Dave296 »

dinkocroley wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:20 am From what I've heard, some automated car washes can be rough on paintwork, but I've never had any issues with IMO.
Our organisation had a contract with them years ago. They were renowned for ripping wing mirrors off. Obviously with folding mirrors things will have improved. Still wouldn't put mine through. Prefer to hand wash it.
malvern_man
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by malvern_man »

dinkocroley wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:20 am From what I've heard, some automated car washes can be rough on paintwork, but I've never had any issues with IMO.

Rough on paintwork, to right they are.

If you have access to a proper detailing light then check your paintwork using it and you'll see it's swirled and marred to buggery.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.
malvern_man
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by malvern_man »

Dave296 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 pm
Our organisation had a contract with them years ago. They were renowned for ripping wing mirrors off. Obviously with folding mirrors things will have improved. Still wouldn't put mine through. Prefer to hand wash it.

Same for me too, hand wash it every time.

Wheels...
• spray with citrus, let dwell then rinse off
• clean the wheels with a dedicated wheel shampoo, microfibre wheel mitt, wheel woolies and ultra soft detailing brushes
• dry using a microfibre towel or a car blower

Paintwork...
• spray the lower panels with citrus pre-wash/apc and let it dwell for a few minutes
• snow foam over the top of the citrus to increase the dwell time
• rinse off with a pressure washer
• do the contact wash with a top quality shampoo using the 2 bucket method (with grit guards) and a microfibre wash mitt
• rinse off
• while still wet apply a spray and rinse protection product via a foam cannon
• dry off using a twisted loop microfibre drying towel in conjunction with a car blower
• once dry apply a quick detailer using 2 quality microfibre towels.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

malvern_man ... washing a car seems to be a hobby of yours !
I do FULLY agree that a (normal) carwash is a horror scenario for most cars.
I used a carwash for my previous car (after 5 so years) and at the age of 13 or so the number of small scratches had become ... countless !
Those brushes were surely not appropriate for anything but ... a bric wall.