1.5 DCI knocking sounds

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
machak5
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by machak5 »

Hi guys,

I've been dealing with this problem a while so wanted to share with you and see if anyone has any ideas what could be the root cause.

As you can see or even better hear in the video, the engine was started at 8:42, was working fine till 8:45 and then it started with knocks, noisy sounds I can't say how to call them actually :)

I've replaced the glow plugs, fuel filter twice, injectors and the battery, no progress made so far. I've find the pattern or at least I think I did, it starts to behave like this when rpm goes down from 1000 (if it's cold enough) to let's say 950.

If it's 10-15c it starts going up and down with rpms for the first 10 seconds but knocking isnt present like when it's much colder. Once I start the engine for the first time, I usually test it by going to around 3000 rpm in 2nd gear till it makes that knocking sound again. After a few mins, it stops and the engine is working perfectly fine. During winter, it's almost impossible to drive for the first 5-15 mins, it's knocking and having problems to even accelerate. This is really killing me, and no mechanics so far were able to help.

Any ideas what to look into next ?

Thanks in advance

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Diagnosis on these symptoms along are very difficult, analysing data to see if anything is wrong is the way forward starting with any fault codes stored, MAF data when the wild idle begins also injector correction values when the wild idle begins and happens. That's where I would start personally, I'd also be asking where you get the injectors from.

A leak off test during the fault would also be handy and a scope of the cam and crank. Also fuel pressure compared to requested. As you can tell theres a lot to inspect and check.
NissanGuyFinland

Post by NissanGuyFinland »

Hi,

I have had exactly this problem in my 1.5 dci Nissan. I think, it is a type failure in Renault k9k636 engine, which they don't admit. In my car this problem was fixed by replacing the injectors and high pressure pump. But I think replacing the injectors was the one that actually fixed the issue. My car was under warranty and after long fight, they finally got it fixed for free, but it was a long battle...

There is also a workaround, which removes the problem for pretty long time.

This guy from eastern europe, has a video about this problem and workaround. Read the comments as well.

Try get Nissan to fix this!

NissanGuyFinland
Novice2

Post by Novice2 »

Hi all,

I recently had a similar problem described in this topic. After reading all conversation, I’ve realised that people didn’t returned to confess what solution sorted them problem, if were sorted.
All solutions suggested were viable ones. So I decided to start with the easiest and cheapest first.
I’ve done the obvious one first by changing the engine oil and filter. Then I went for the EGR inspection and discovered that the valve pin was solid stuck with sooth/carbon. The next one would have been the fuel and injectors cleaning additives, but the EGR valve cleaning did the trick. It was making sense hence when backing off from the throttle is was making this noise described by many and also while idling from time to time, annoying noise.
I have used previously oven cleaner but this time I have experimented with carb cleaner and I must say that was the best option. Hopping that this helps further other people with such ghostly noise am attaching some pictures as well.
My can is an kadjar 1.5dci 2016 but the engine is similar to Qashqai ones, the well known k9k type.

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0424.jpeg

IMG_0419.jpeg