Brake hold assist.

ICE, Equipment, Options
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Throwing this question out to see if anyone can help.
If I nip out to do a quick shop at my local Co-op for instance and park outside on the road, incline I would hazard a guess at a good 30° angle, brake hold works normally however if I park up on my driveway the brake hold deactivates? Brake hold icon on the dash display disappears even though the physical button is still on and lit?
My driveway has a miniscule incline, maybe the front of the car is around an inch or so higher than the rear.
Am I missing something here? It's the first time that we have had a car equipped with this excellent device.
I can drive all day long and it works, junctions, traffic lights etc but not on my driveway?

I've enclosed a photo of the car on the driveway to show how minor the incline is.

20210314_085210_kindlephoto-4220606.jpg

Any help would be great on this.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It generally holds anywhere...if you leave your foot on the brake for about 5 secs with engine running. Mine does
Last edited by calnorth on Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

calnorth wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:01 pm It generally hold anywhere...if you leave your foot on the brake for about 5 secs with engine running. Mine does
That's the problem, it works normally but not on my driveway. I pull in, push down on the brake pedal as normal to engage the assist but it turns off?
Hand brake works ok but the assist decides to go on strike.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Cod

Post by Cod »

I've had issues with my Auto Hold Disappearing. The dealer said they had to reset the braking system to fix it. Didn't work though, still happens from time to time. 🤷‍♂️
Gone... 2018 Qashqai Tekna 1.6Dci 4x4 Metallic Red
Replaced With... 2019 Qashqai Tekna 1.7Dci 4x4 Pearlescent Storm White
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Squashy2, do you have to use this system when Parking ?. I use the Brake Hold all of the time during normal driving, except when parking although ours is an Auto. I just Brake, Stick the Gear Lever in “P” and turn off. Not really sure of the problem but worth a check out - Dave 😉
Take a read of this :

A5609448-C7D2-44EF-8DA4-190947F0AA45.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

Hi Dave, thanks for the info.
Yes, I use the brake assist all the time. When I stop at a junction, traffic lights, car park etc I just apply the brake pedal with a hard push, light comes on the dash to confirm it's on and either sit until I can move forward or if parking up turn off the ignition and the parking handbrake automatically comes on, but strangely on my driveway this doesn't happen. I pull in, apply the foot brake, brake assist light goes out on the dash and switch off ignition and park brake kicks in.
If I pull into the driveway and push hard on the brake pedal nothing happens with the brake assist? If I reverse out into the street and drive a few yards/metres forward and try again, the brake assist works normally?
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Don't think there is adequate system info in J11 diagnostics for this behaviour. No detailed diagram other than the Park Brake block diagram which is likely the major part of all stationary brake control.

As far as I can tell Auto Hold (AH) and Park Brake (PB) are the same function except that AH is applied on detection of a couple of conditions where PB is manually applied and at Ignition/Engine OFF. The conditions I mention are unknown without the relevant diagrams. Foot brake is one of them though.

Guessing:
Your problem tends to indicate that the Park Control Unit can't self determine what state the car is in on "your" drive. Until you turn Ignition OFF. You drive out and AH works which may indicate that an input to the Park Control system reaches a recognisable state that correctly enables the Park Controller to operate AH. This behaviour is difficult to diagnose.

I can say from experience though that periodically this AH system can get stuck causing very unexpected stalls. Annoying stuff.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

I'm extremely puzzled by this, I have just performed a test, got into the car and turned the ignition on. In neutral, park brake applied, brake hold assist switch illuminated. Nothing showing on the dash, foot on brake pedal, release park brake, hold assist still button still on. Release foot brake pedal and still no white or green icon?
Reverse from my driveway and with my neighbours permission of course drive into their driveway which is quite a steep incline, front end up. Guess what, white icon comes on followed by green and the car holds on the brake assist, foot of the pedal, hand brake not engaged?
Try this several times with the same result, then a quick drive through the village, turn around and back to my driveway which compared to the neighbours is flat, hmmm same thing again, no white or green icons, infact something I've only noticed today, when I enter the drive the white icon is lit, as I come to a stop with my foot on the brake it visibly disappears?
Maybe there is a strange anomaly associated with my driveway, it only does this here and no where else. I'm flummoxed?
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

When you bring the car onto your drive and no Hold lights show (white/green)..is the car physically holding anyway?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
rogertr7
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by rogertr7 »

Silly question but I assume you not taken your seatbelt off have you, as this appears to disable the autobrake