Auto stop/start failure - engine management light. Help!

ICE, Equipment, Options
KP09
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by KP09 »

Good morning all!

I am new to this forum and new to Nissan in general.

My partner and I needed an upgrade so we bought a second hand Qashqai Tekna (16 plate). We love the car, it's perfect for us and we are both in agreement that it is a lovely car to drive.

However....last week, whilst driving in heavy traffic, we came face to face with the dreaded 'Auto Stop/Start system failure' warning. I was frantically trying to look online to see what the issue could be. We parked up, turned the ignition off and then switched it back on.... low and behold, the fault disappeared.
We didn't think anything of it, just that it was a one off and left it at that.

A few days later, I was driving down a hill, drove over a small bump in the road and the system fault came back on! I parked up in Tesco, did my shopping, got back in the car, manually switched off the auto stop start and went on my way home. About 2 minutes away from my house, I noticed the engine management light was amber and when I pulled up outside and turned the auto on/off back on (out of curiosity) - the fault popped back on. I switched the ignition off and back on, the stop start fault has gone but the engine management light is remaining on.

Now I have looked through the service history of the car and there is no where to suggest that a battery has been replaced. It has also just had a full service and passed an MOT last month. For those who are a bit more Nissan/car savvy than me, is it likely to be a battery issue? Is there anything that I can do to determine what the issue could possibly be? I would like to do as much research possible before I call the tomorrow.

I emailed the dealership (not Nissan) late on a Saturday night and got an email first thing this morning (Sunday) saying that they will be in touch tomorrow to organise the car to be seen to. As the car is slightly older and second hand, it's not covered by Nissan (I think!) and have 1 year Network Q guarantee. Had a look at the terms which state that batteries are not covered so you could say that I am in a bit of a panic! The last thing I want is to be forking out a ridiculous amount on dealership prices especially when I've just forked out the money for the car.

So really, I am after any suggestions on what it could be so I can query things with the dealership when the car does go in. Is it the battery? Could it be something else? Are there any other things I could look at to check?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Diolch,
Kate

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Stop/Start is usually an early indication that Engine Management cannot control the engine correctly. This behaviour means that error codes (DTCs) should be scanned and reliably by a special Nissan tool called CONSULT. Without the DTC data its really guess work. Usual symptoms are:

Functions:
Battery condition/capability
Exhaust related sensors detecting emissions out of spec
Engine fuelling/firing
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
KP09
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by KP09 »

Car was taken to the garage this morning - diagnostics were done and it turns out that I need a new O2 sensor. Part has been ordered and hopefully that will sort things. Fingers crossed!B
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

KP09 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:53 pm Car was taken to the garage this morning - diagnostics were done and it turns out that I need a new O2 sensor. Part has been ordered and hopefully that will sort things. Fingers crossed!B
Thats a fairly common fault and probably expected at a particular mileage.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta