Re 2018 1.6 Clutch / electronic parking brake / e-brake

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
dannyhoffman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by dannyhoffman »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum posting on behalf of a friend.

He has a 2018 1.6 manual and the clutch went. Looking on line a number of people have experienced premature clutch failure.

Once the new clutch was fitted I drove the car and noticed that the electronic parking brake takes about a second to automatically disengage when pulling away, and during this time excessive strain appears to be put on the clutch. He can't disengage the e-brake manually unless he puts his foot on the footbrake.

I found a YouTube video that shows depressing the accelerator should also automatically release the e-brake.

But on his car it doesn't.

So a few of questions:

1) Should his car release the e-brake automatically when the throttle is pressed as per the video?
2) Should the e-brake take about a second to disengage?
3) Could the way the e-brake operates (assuming his car doesn't have a fault) be the cause of many people suffering premature clutch failure

Thanks in advance

Danny

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

1. Yes...combination of Clutch down and Accelerate. Usually a smooth lift off
2. There is a finite release time...never timed it but is "almost instantaneous" release
3. Not reported to damage clutch on this site...engine stalls normally.

Thats the good news but in my experience the brakes will remain ON to the extent that the engine stalls. Not a common occurrence but can happen and not to be confused with foot fumbling stalls. It does get a bit "iffy" when the vehicle is stationary and about to move off.

The Park brake has a switch on the centre lower console.....Press Up for ON and Down for OFF. LED indicator changes state.

Where selected (fitted) the vehicle provides the "Auto Hold" function which is similar to Park brake really. Again it can get a bit "iffy" as regards lift off.

If you experience what you report constantly then there is a problem.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I have had the parking brake stick on on my car, and normal solution is to put your foot on the foot brake, press the handbrake switch down, this disengages the electronic brakes, after that all works fine. It is almost like it needs a reset.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.