1.5 J11 diesel fuel tank leak

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
halfwaymark
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by halfwaymark »

Hi All
I recently went to the filling station and started to refuel my Qashqai 1.5 diesel. As the tank got almost full the guy in the car behind started shouting to me that fuel was running onto the floor from underneath the car. I stopped refueling and the fuel spillage stopped leaking out. After pushing the car into a corner of the forecourt and the garage had cleared up the spillage I decided to start the car. It ran ok and no more fuel escaped from the tank.
I have managed to get underneath the car and wipe the outside of the tank dry. After driving the outside of the tank becomes slightly wet with diesel looking like it is coming from the top of the tank, possibly where the fuel pump sits . I was wondering has anyone had any similar problems before I try and unclip the rear seat and remove the fuel pump access cover.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the forum.

First time I have heard of this problem.
Hopefully, someone more practical will be along with some advice
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I would look at the filling neck, that can leak when the flexible gets a bit perished. A fullish tank of fuel moving in opposite directions to the body of the car and the seal could go.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.