J12 Parking Brake

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
hootintootin
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by hootintootin »

I've read the user guide and really none the wiser as to how to make the parking brake activate EVERY time you stop and turn the engine off. . It seems a bit random as to when it will choose to auto apply...anyone else cracked how to do it?

Tekna auto awd
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021

QashqaiKev

Post by QashqaiKev »

Do you have the automatic brake hold enabled?
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

QashqaiKev wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pm Do you have the automatic brake hold enabled?
I've tried with it both enabled and disabled...assuming we're talking about the switch by the side of the parking brake
QashqaiKev

Post by QashqaiKev »

That's correct.

According to the manual, you have to have Auto Brake Hold enabled for the Parking Brake to be automatically applied when you either put the car into Park, take off the driver's seat belt, open the driver's door or turn off the ignition. Personally (as useful as the feature is), I'd always apply the parking brake manually just to remain in the habit of doing so. Can't imagine anything worse than driving in another vehicle without it and just getting out without applying the brake :D
hootintootin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:41 pm
QashqaiKev wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:12 pm Do you have the automatic brake hold enabled?
I've tried with it both enabled and disabled...assuming we're talking about the switch by the side of the parking brake
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

Thanks I will try that tomorrow.

I'm used to the parking brake being applied automatically and finding it weird that this one seems a bit random of when it will and when it won't.

I'd just like the parking brake to come on automatically when it goes in to P or engine off and hill start assist to be active (not necessarily the automatic brake hold function as that seems to be about taking your foot off the brake completely for an extended time while on a hill)
QashqaiKev

Post by QashqaiKev »

Yes. Hill Start Assist and Auto Brake Hold are different.

Hill Start Assist will automatically hold the brakes on for a few seconds if you're on a slope and facing uphill in Drive or downhill in reverse. The brake will disengage after a few seconds or when the car has enough torque to pull away.

Auto Brake Hold when enabled will keep the foot brake held on (providing you pressed it firmly and came to a complete stop) even if you take your foot of the brake.

The J12 has both Hill Start Assist and Auto Brake Hold, but if you turn on Auto Brake Hold then it overrides the Hill Start Assist as it becomes redundant. The only real reason I can think of why someone might want to keep the Auto Brake Hold turned off is so you can creep when in Drive.
hootintootin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:03 pm Thanks I will try that tomorrow.

I'm used to the parking brake being applied automatically and finding it weird that this one seems a bit random of when it will and when it won't.

I'd just like the parking brake to come on automatically when it goes in to P or engine off and hill start assist to be active (not necessarily the automatic brake hold function as that seems to be about taking your foot off the brake completely for an extended time while on a hill)
willip10

Post by willip10 »

hootintootin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:48 pm I've read the user guide and really none the wiser as to how to make the parking brake activate EVERY time you stop and turn the engine off. . It seems a bit random as to when it will choose to auto apply...anyone else cracked how to do it?

Tekna auto awd
I've noticed the same thing!! sometimes it comes on without any issues and sometimes you can get out of the car, without it being on. Going to look at it when i'm in the car more as I haven't been anywhere over the Xmas period to see if there is a routine to follow to get it to apply.....
2021 Nissan Qashqai Tekna + 158 - Fugi Sunset Red / Black Roof Auto 4WD
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

willip10 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:19 pm
hootintootin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:48 pm I've read the user guide and really none the wiser as to how to make the parking brake activate EVERY time you stop and turn the engine off. . It seems a bit random as to when it will choose to auto apply...anyone else cracked how to do it?

Tekna auto awd
I've noticed the same thing!! sometimes it comes on without any issues and sometimes you can get out of the car, without it being on. Going to look at it when i'm in the car more as I haven't been anywhere over the Xmas period to see if there is a routine to follow to get it to apply.....

I note Park Brake is "iffy" on my J11b (2017) also. If the Park Brake red LED doesn't illuminate when you stop "quickly enough" then pull the Park Brake switch up manually. See if it holds correctly then. If not its an MOT failure.

Auto Hold is also "iffy". When selected its very useful and holds for as long as required. Hill Start was the 2 second or so hold but I think that was abandoned for Auto Hold in Europe pre 2017...but might hang about as words in the User Manual(s).

Auto Hold is also "iffy" on lift off sometimes...stalling the engine.

These 2 functions simply drive the brake caliper motors (ON/OFF) and sometimes you can hear them. I don't stall on Park Brake release but Auto Hold can be really irritating.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

QashqaiKev wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:46 pm That's correct.

According to the manual, you have to have Auto Brake Hold enabled for the Parking Brake to be automatically applied when you either put the car into Park, take off the driver's seat belt, open the driver's door or turn off the ignition. Personally (as useful as the feature is), I'd always apply the parking brake manually just to remain in the habit of doing so. Can't imagine anything worse than driving in another vehicle without it and just getting out without applying the brake :D
hootintootin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:41 pm
Looking more promising thank you...not 100% auto activation of the parking brake.....but all bar one. I wonder if brake pedal pressure might influence things...will keep playing and keeping an eye on that parking brake before I leave the car.

Last car just had a setting to automatically put the parking brake on at engine off.
xaote

Post by xaote »

I accidentally came across a braking feature when I was on the test drive but I have no idea which of the above it is.
When u are stopped, put more than usual pressure on the brake pedal. It held the car while the lights were red etc and it didn't disengage after a set time.
This was in the xtronic auto I drove, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic