Ev Range Performance - Nissan Leaf Tekna + Audi e-tron GT

The place to discuss everything else..
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I understand the common sense bit about Evs. The mechanical advantage stuff that is. The bolted on expensive electronics is a worry though...BCM, Radar and Cameras, ABS Controller (Park Brake/Stability), Main Battery and Controller/Cooler. Software galore! The Leaf here being a "real snip" at approx £30k :o :shock:

Linked below are Honest John and D. Mail articles on the Leaf and Audi range performance which firmly places them in the local use domain IMO. I don't really need to say that we now have a very serious energy problem. No fast fix...at all. Hybrids clearly more sensible but impacted by fuel and latterly engine - condemned.

Just imagine what the 2nd hand market will bring forth for unsuspecting buyers.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/n ... ssan-leaf/

Another story by Iain Dale in the D. Mail recently...Audi e-tron GT:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... -cars.html

As things are I can't see much related to Evs getting better. Our Govts flap their mouths and do nothing...for way too long. Knee "jerks" very apparent now.

I can't buy into this nonsense. Certainly not until we get our energy supply/security on a sensible path and well underway. I'll have popped off way before then I suspect.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

Agreed !

That is also why I, personally, believe that Nissan may have found a near perfect formula that offers nothing but benefits, especially if we take these drawbacks of pure-EVs into consideration !

QQ e-power = +50MPG, yet driving with the feel and benefits of an EV.

This is a first kind of test-drive-review of the e-power :
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

e-power it could be the motoring equivalent to the Emperor's New Clothes
A 1.5 litre 180 bhp petrol engine just to run the battery ?
Did I get those numbers right ?
Barely any "electric only" range ?

I'll certainly be looking at hybrids for my next car but it’s going to need considerable research

Incidentally, we’re going to Cornwall in my partner’s 62kw Leaf in May. That’s going to be interesting.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Steve101
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Steve101 »

MikeGC wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:13 pm e-power it could be the motoring equivalent to the Emperor's New Clothes
A 1.5 litre 180 bhp petrol engine just to run the battery ?
Did I get those numbers right ?
Barely any "electric only" range ?

I'll certainly be looking at hybrids for my next car but it’s going to need considerable research

Incidentally, we’re going to Cornwall in my partner’s 62kw Leaf in May. That’s going to be interesting.
Keep us posted about your experience of using your Leaf on a long journey - hope it goes well for you. 😀👍
Tekna J12, magnetic blue, black roof.
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

My guess is that the big difference is the true EV feeling one could get in the e-power vs conventional hybrid cars that constantly switch between the 48v battery and gasoline.
It might even drive like a nissan leaf!?
Difference in cost : I am curious what the price difference will be between a mild hybrid tekna+ and the e-power version. If that is not too big then the e-power might be a big nissan win!?
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Looking at some of the general motoring journalism (poor), I must say I can't be impressed with the e-power. Its ICE dependent totally? So whats the advantage other than a bit of a whizz from an electric motor? Add complexity of the power electrical (Emotor/Inverter) and related stuff to ICE plus added weight..200Kg over ICE only QQ. Supposedly the engine can run at optimal performance, so let the "little battery" take the strain..charge/discharge. I'd knock about 20% off Manufacturer performance claims. Sorry, I won't be investing.... :o

How come Nissan didn't go PHEV? (Battery material shortage/cost?)

Has Toyota got PHEV?

https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/rel ... the-future
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

My brother's had a Tesla for over two years. He's not had any real range problems - albeit he of course has access to reliable Supercharger charging.

Nissan are apparently forerunners in "solid state" battery technology which promises significant gains. However we may have to wait several years.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

"...Nissan are apparently forerunners in "solid state" battery technology ..."
Indeed, but until then I still believe that Diesel is the better option.
All those extra batteries and/or engines, extra weight and cost could have been avoided ...
if our European governments didn't want to punish us for not stepping into their crazy "eco-anti-car" politics and regulation !