J11b versus J12 comparison

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Hi

Below is my own informed observations between the J11b and J12
My comparisons are my own , and based upon my time served as an employee of a main car manufacturer , and not simple pub talk.

Today I was lent a J12 with a fairly basic trim level ( Acenta possibly ) whilst my Tekna is having its third condenser fitted under warranty.
Both cars have the same 1.3 engine , although I understand that the J12 is a mild Hybrid of some sort !

The Good or improved over the J11b:
1. no fuel filler cap or release handle - Ford has been copied.
2. at long last there is an Eco/Normal/Sport selector just like the Juke has always had. For comparison with the J11b , I left it in Normal mode.
3. the padding in the arm rest on the door is much deeper.
4. the air conditioning is much colder
5. my large USB drive with my music on it plays well , and doesn't revert back the the same track each time I start the car.
6. the car is a little lighter thanks to some aluminium panels
7. the floorpan / /chassis feels stiffer
8. the area around the rear view mirror is tidier
9. the air conditioning controls are quite slick , but the face vents are quite low

The Bad or reduced impact points over the J11b

1. the J12 , option version to version , IE tekna to tekna is quite a lot more expensive
2. the interior mirror appears smaller
3. the gearlever ( manual ) is a bit further forwards - harder to reach - see picture in a later post
4. the gearlever looks as if its some place between neutral and in gear when not actually in gear - IE it slopes forwards quite a bit
5. like for like journeys - my J11b returns 48.5 mpg , the J12 returns 43.4 mpg - but that might improve in time ??
6. my J11b sits on 19 inch wheels , this car sits on 17 inch Continentals - and the tyre noise is intrusive
7. my J11b steering is set to Sport , as it the J12 BUT the steering is very light and floaty
8. when in gear , the engine generates less torque in normal engine mode - in fact its a bit flat
9. the seats are not as supportive , but that might be a difference in trim level
10. the steering feel is not the same - I cant put my finger on it - refer to point 7
11. the glove box is much smaller
12. there are a lot of expose bolts evident where the J11b was tidy - in particular , the fastening of the door bars and the fixtures on the tailgate.
13. the interior on this model looks cheap - even if you dressed it up like a tekna - it just feels cheap
14. the air conditioning condenser is still very exposed
15. I could not find a chassis plate under the bonnet - but then again I'm not sure if my J11b is visible either ?
16. the door seal rubbers don't feel like rubber - more like silicone
17. the centre console storage has lost the storage in the upper lid - it maybe on better models - Higher trim levels get this feature
18. the panel that supports the stop/start switch is pretty flimsy
19. there is no false floor - higher trim levels get this , but it does not look simple to retro fit

All in all - my brief first impression is of a car that uses more fuel , is nervous on the road and is built down to a cost.
There is an effort to add more stitched fake leather , but the rest of the plastics are in the whole - nasty and easily marked.

I think I would need to drive a tekna if I was going to be tempted to change to a new Qashqai.

Just my opinion , and maybe it will add some insight to some readers

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Deleted User 10757 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

That’s a fascinating comparison and it’s very much how I feel.
Of interest, my Tekna+ J12 has the extra little tray in the centre console armrest
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Thank you buffy, *very* interesting !
The J11b seems a nice looking car (to me) and if you can get a great deal on one in 2022 it might still be worth it !!!

I would also really like a comparison between the J12 2021 MHEV 156 BHP against the J12 2022 e-Power 190 BHP.
I know it is too eraly for this, but that would also be valuable for potential buyers.
Deleted User 10757

I took a picture of the gear lever as mentioned in my original post.
I know Im used to the J11b , but for the life of me in the J12 , I just kept getting a bit lost in my gear selection.

This is the car in Neutral - so once in gear - its a bit of a stretch for taller people - whereas on my J11b , the lever falls naturally to hand and sits vertically in neutral.

20220805_063412.jpg

QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Buffy I never drove the j11b, only j12. But IMHO the mt6 gears, lever... Has to be the worst of all Japanese cars (Toyota and Mazda) I had before.
This is the one thing I don't like about my Nissan.
That is also one of the reasons I am still interested in maybe one day getting the e-power version... It has no gears :-)
Fujikun
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Fujikun »

Nicely written buffy, I enjoyed your views, I have a j11b but never driven the j12 .I too worked for a large car manufacturer for 30 years.
xaote

Post by xaote »

Agreed about the J12 steering. In the 'normal mode' it is too light and lacks feedback.
Sport mode is much better, it stiffens the system up and gives a lot more feel for the road.
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic
Deleted User 10757

xaote wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:10 am Agreed about the J12 steering. In the 'normal mode' it is too light and lacks feedback.
Sport mode is much better, it stiffens the system up and gives a lot more feel for the road.
My comparison was both cars in Sport mode for the steering , and the ECO system on the J12 set to normal to give a comparison to the J11b

Biggest shock for an " improved car " was how bad the fuel consumption was on identical journeys
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

It seems the mild hybrid is little more than a Battery backup system. Even start stop is deactivated whenever A/C is on.
Compared to my previous (bigger engine) car consumption is better.
I never knew better consumption, so can't compare, not even complain.
So I truly love this small(!) 1.3 turbo mhev type engine.
xaote

Post by xaote »

Sorry misread your post.
I didn't drive the J11b either so I can't compare the steering between the 2 cars.
Normal mode it feels terrible for me but on the other hand, my wife loves it.

Personally, I was really surprised at how well the J12 performs on twisy roads, especially for a big car with such a small engine.

How does the torque compare between the 2 engines now the mild hybrid system has been added?
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic