2017 TEKNA - Nextbase 622GW Dashcam power

ICE, Equipment, Options
Roostie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Roostie »

Had my Dashcam fited by Halfords ( sorry, befoe you all groan at the decision)

I have the Nextbase 622GW and wanted it hard wired into the Qashqai power. The Nextbase hardwire kit does say that it should be connected to the ignition circuit.

I was finding that when the car was switched off though it wasnt charging and that when the Stop/Start kicked in at traffic lights, the car switches off ( as it should do) and so did the dashcam. That meant if I got bumped at traffic lights, the camera was inoperative.

Went back to Halfords and they were adamant that they were trained and told to only fit to the Ignition circuit but I managed to convince them to switch the feed when another customer, with a 2019 QASHQAI, Just happened to be at the service desk in Halfords with exactly the same problem.

Theyve now wired it in again but I need to get the panel off the drivers side near the steering wheel to see what theyve actually taken the feed from. The blue charging light isnt on when the car switches off so Im assuming the camera wont work either, even in PArking Mode.

Is there a permanent 12v feed that I can use, if so which one please? I think the dashcam automatically powers off if it detects the battery lower than 11.5v so it wont drain the battery.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Can’t answer your question but welcome to the forum
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Roostie

Post by Roostie »

Anyone? There must be a permanent 12v supply in the car to a fuse that can be used, one that doesnt switch off with the ignition or a few minutes of locking the car.

Any help please?
Roostie

Post by Roostie »

257 views and not one answer....... nice!
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Permanent feed for a dash cam is the cigarette lighter, but if left for a couple of weeks in a car park when on holiday will flatten the battery.

You need a multimeter to check the fuses which are switched and which are on, you need to wire to that. If you google fitting a dash cam, they advise to wire it to the 5 amp fuse which is ignition controlled so in reality should not disconnect when the stop start is operational as the the ignition is still on although the engine may not be running. I've just done my own Nextbase 422 took me about half an hour.

Additional info, the power supply in your central armrest does switch off and can be used for the dash cam feed.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Roostie

Post by Roostie »

Thank you.

I was just advised by Nextbase support that if youre using PARKING MODE the camera needs a 24/7 12v supply so the camera always holds its battery charge as its constantly trickle feeding the battery. The Camera itself is in a dormant state , effectively off, until woken by a bump or movement of the car in which it then wakes, records and then switches off again / dormant state. Nextbase also say that the Nextbase hard wire kit monitors the battery level and if this drops below 11.4V the Dashcam is switched OFF to prevent further drain but in its dormant state ( Parking Mode ) it shouldnt really be drawing and more current than a trickle to top up the batter, negligible amounts.

A lot of the Qashqai systems power off once the ignition is switched off so you wouldnt be getting a 24/7 supply of 12v
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

I've had my J11B wired for a couple of years - and the camera does not power off when stop start is active.
Furthermore - I would not have the camera permanently active , as previous informed members have started that you WILL get a flat battery - especially considering how fragile the state of some of the battery brands are fitted to these cars.

Lastly - I cant see the point in my opinion , of an always on camera if it only wakes up once BUMPED
This is after the event , and judging by how long my Nextbase take to wake up - the its a waste of time.

There is a really good wiring article on the forum , and I can fit a Nextbase and wire it into the passenger side power distribution point in half an hour , as can others
Last edited by Deleted User 10757 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cod

Post by Cod »

Here's a picture of a switched live and perm. live connection in the fuse box of my 2019 Tekna.

The permanent is piggy backed off a 15a fuse. I can't remember what he circuit is for but never had a issue.

My camera is connected to the switched live but it will keep running when start/stop is active. Does reset briefly when the car starts again though. I didn't want to use the perm live for my dashcam as the Nextbase hardwire kit has a very low voltage cut off. Think it's about 11.4v, didn't fancy doing that to the battery.
Gone... 2018 Qashqai Tekna 1.6Dci 4x4 Metallic Red
Replaced With... 2019 Qashqai Tekna 1.7Dci 4x4 Pearlescent Storm White