Rattling/tractor noise when idling

Forum for the Nissan Qashqai e-Power
dvh
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by dvh »

I have a brand new QQ ePower Tekna and when it is idling in traffic and the petrol engine kicks in to charge the battery, it sounds lie a tractor or diesel truck.
On a Facebook group there are several other people having the same problem, but no one has been able to find a fix.
Does anyone else have this noise problem, and has anyone managed to sort it out?

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Take it back and get the dealers to sort it.
MontyB52

Post by MontyB52 »

Mine sounds the rough when its cold, the tone does reduce when coming to a stop, but then picks back up.
at speed it seems okay.
I just thought that's how it sounds hadn't considered it being a fault.
72 plate E-Power N-Connecta in Burgundy 8-)
panormus72

Post by panormus72 »

MontyB52 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:51 pm Mine sounds the rough when its cold, the tone does reduce when coming to a stop, but then picks back up.
at speed it seems okay.
I just thought that's how it sounds hadn't considered it being a fault.
Also in mine sounds rough on a cold start.
I think it's normal. Probably the petrol engine take 1-2 min. to warm and simultaneously activate the generator,because after that the status of charge battery increase.
TeaTwoSugars

Post by TeaTwoSugars »

One thing to consider is when the petrol motor kicks in its only goal is to charge the battery.

It won’t idle like a regular engine, it’ll rev up to enable battery charging.

I’ve experienced something similar in the Jazz e hev I’ve driven for the last 2 years.

At urban speeds and idling it’s noticeably noisier than an engine at idle because it’s sole purpose is to charge the battery.
Captainpugwash

Post by Captainpugwash »

Yes, mines the same. The engine is very noisy sometimes whilst other times it's barely audible. The trouble is, the sound really isn't pleasant, it sounds like a neighbour using a hammer drill on an adjoining wall. It seems to be worse at certain revs, possibly hitting a resonance frequency. I know the engine intentionally revs high when it's cold, this is to get it up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. I asked the dealership about it and they didn't even check it, just fobbed me off with, "its a characteristic of the engine". Perhaps it is. Bit disappointing though since Nissan make a big play of promoting how quiet and refined the e-power is. So many people have remarked on it that I'm guessing it is "normal". Looks like the only solution is to turn the radio up.
MontyB52

Post by MontyB52 »

It’s definitely louder/rougher sounding than the one 1 test drove, though if I recall they had already had the demo running & it had plenty of charge on the battery.
Even when it kicks in at speed I ran hear it roaring away.
Some thoughts on the “quietness of the drive.
As you say they are selling it on how quiet it is, but I guess it depends if they are looking at the total driving experience where most of the time (when the ICE isn’t running) the drive is extremely quiet.

Remember it’s a 3 cylinder engine, which (from what I’ve read & experienced) can be noisier.

In the promo Nissan video about the E-power powerplant it talks about the engine noise adapts to the road noise level…
https://youtu.be/cWiTwNzCOtY

BBD4A16B-C784-4F02-AADE-AC7C8F295240.jpeg

5DB89B36-86C3-4FF4-B9D3-F5EE8D084061.jpeg

So are our English road standards to blame!

I wonder if enough of us contact Nissan support & query the noise levels they might decide they need to do something…well at least look into them. The same epower is in the new X-Trail as well.
Cheers
M
72 plate E-Power N-Connecta in Burgundy 8-)
xavpiq

Post by xavpiq »

Keep also in mind that this engine works with "Variable Compression Ratio" technology:
" During low power demand scenarios – such as constant speed with a good state of charge in the battery - the compression ratio will be at the higher range which optimises consumption and emissions. Under high demand for power, to charge the battery or supply power directly to the motor, a lower compression ratio will be activated which will maximise the engine’s power output."
Might be due to this...
Qashqai J12 N-Connecta, 140 hp manual.
Captainpugwash

Post by Captainpugwash »

I did message Nissan customer service regarding the excessive engine noise about a week ago. I've heard nothing back from them though.

I didn't experience the same noise on the car I test drove so I don't know if some engines are affected worse than others. May be it was just drowned out by the jabbering of the salesman. Yeah, 3 cylinder engines are generally a bit noisier. My wife had a Peugeot 208 with a 3 cylinder engine, it use to "thrum" away but it was actually quite a pleasant sound. Sadly, the noise from my epower is pretty unpleasant, vaguely reminiscent of a hammer drill.
NEWBUYER

Post by NEWBUYER »

I have a loan of a new 231 Nissan Qashqai ePower while I wait on my new SVE car to arrive.
I also did a test drive and did not hear the Drilling sound until I got a loan one.
It does indeed sound like a drill and it is very annoying. Is this the norm or is it a problem? Why it cannot sound like a normal engine? Not Happy with it.
Did anyone get a response from Nissan?
Strongly looking at cancelling my order.