Oil leak....

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
collywobble
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by collywobble »

Had my 2012 1.5 dCi (54k on the clock) serviced at my local Nissan main stealer. They found a 'large oil leak' from the turbo and say it needs a diagnostic at £149 to see where it is coming from. Now I am of an age when you used to have to repair your car in the road with a few AF spanners and a couple of screwdrivers and tend to mistrust main dealers. I check the oil level every couple of weeks and in the two years I have owned the car it hasn't even used a litre of oil. My understanding is that if the turbo is faulty the exhaust will emit white/blue/black smoke, be noisy and the car will lack power, none of which I have any signs of!
Is it safe to assume that what it actually needs is the turbo oil feed and return pipes and associated seals, gaskets and clamps replacing? I have run turbo diesel cars since 1983 (including a Saab 9-5 2.2 TiD (which did 186k miles before I got rid of it and have never had turbo problems of any sort before in any of my cars.
Is the dealer assuming I know nothing about cars and because I am in my 70's i am a soft touch?