1.5 DCi injector issues

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
doctorsteve

Post by doctorsteve »

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this recurring issue I’ve had with my 2014 Qashqai 1.5 DCi.
At 20,000 miles the car indicated System failure , Chassis Control failure and was obviously running on 3 cylinders. I limped 66 miles home and took it to Nissan London West. They kept the car for several days and did checks including DPF, then informed me that No1 injector had failed. they fixed it for free even though the car was just out of warranty.
Then at 40,000 miles the same thing happened on number 3 injector.
At about 70.000 miles the same symptoms appeared but went away after stopping for half an hour but reappeared again about 100 miles later - this time injector number 4.
Similarly at about 80,000 miles, number 3 failed again as verified by a diagnosis on the day, but this went away only to reappear again 1000 miles later.
This has just been changed and the car has now turned 87,000 miles and same symptoms. Injector number 4 was diagnosed, and the fault has cleared once more but I am expecting it to reappear again based on the experiences above.
I always use quality diesel, usually Shell, and put in VPower every second or third fill.
The car never does short runs, mostly between 66 miles and 260 miles.
I have had explanations ranging from ‘These cars are notorious for it’, ‘it’s the piezo cell’, and ‘once one goes they all go’, and other words of ‘wisdom’.
Can anyone explain this in a more intelligent way? Why would the fault appear, then clear, then reappear again after 1000 miles?
I’m stumped, and naturally have lost confidence in the car as a result of all this.

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Never had a problem with mine been trouble free. Was it new injectors you had fitted
doctorsteve

Post by doctorsteve »

Number 1 was new, 3 and 4 were reconditioned.
If I have to get number 4 replaced again, new or reconditioned, I'm going to be sure to get some sort of sensible guarantee, as number 3 has only done 40,000 miles, and number 4 half that.
Our other car is an '09 Renault Scenic 1.9 DCi, 127,000 miles and never an issue.
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Are you using the same garage?

Some technicians are unaware that the injector numbers are back to front on these so number 1 is gearbox end and number 4 timing belt end so can end up confusing the matter by changing the wrong ones.

Also these are piezo controlled injectors so do have a higher failure rate than standard solenoid injectors, if this were a vw if 1 went the other 3 would of failed in the next 1000miles haha.

Also recommend getting the recon ones directly from nissan themselves they are reconditioned by continental Siemens who actually make the injectors and recondition then properly I've seen so many people fit recon injectors from local parts store and the injector has just been thrown together along with a piezo actuator that has no code on it.

Always use nissan recon injectors and always get them fitted by someone who is familiar with the engine
doctorsteve

Post by doctorsteve »

Thanks that's quite helpful. The garage that did number 3 second time (and diagnosed number 4) made a point of telling me it was a Nissan recon. I will be going back to the garage that did number 4 and try my luck - 17,000 miles is pretty rubbish really!
Bligh
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Bligh »

I have a 2012 1.5dci.. eml came on and anti skid lights car juddered and diagnosed as P0201 fault injector 1. Replaced with OEM part services the car at the same time only to drive 5 miles before car judders again and eml light comes on along with anti skid I pull over stop and restart the car and runs fine and lights go out. I took the car back in and the same fault code for injector 1 any ideas? Possible loom breakdown connection issue? If so can you just replace the injection harness? I don’t want this to turn into a money pit and I’m now moving at the same time!!
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Did you check if they replace the correct one take a look at the reply from "lewis" a few posts above 😉
BOOMBaby!
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by BOOMBaby! »

Bligh - Hi!
Did you get to the bottom of your issues? - They sound very similar to what I'm currently experiencing!
Thanks!