Qashqai 1.5 or 1.6 Diesel?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Gooner4life
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Gooner4life »

Hi all, I what a wonderful forum this is. I am in search of a new car after someone written off my lovely DS3 1.6 Diesel. I loved that car.

I have around 6.5k to spend maybe 7k at a push and I am after a Nissan Qashqai 2014 upwards preferably the Teckna model, but but I am unsure of which Diesel engine to go for?

The 1.5

Good points
* free road tax
*low insurance group band 14
*Better mpg

Bad points
Cambelt change over 75k every 5 years?

Good points
*Better pulling power
*chain belt change at 180k

Bad points
Road tax £35 a year
Insurance group 19

I do around 6k miles a year and 75% of the time is short journeys but my DS3 handled it very well. It only spluttered here and there in my 7 years of owning it and when it did I just took it out for a short spin with high revs and that sorted it out.

I am just torn between the 1.5 and 1.6. I don't really speed so bhp isn't really a must. Will there be much difference in price on from insurance group 14 to 19 each year? I know I would be saving on mpg on the 1.5 but is there much difference? I on my DS3 I used to get 55mpg on short journeys and over 70+ on motorways.

I have seen a 1.6 Teckna 2014 with 92k on the clock for £6800 private seller and they say it had full service history and hpi clear. Is that a good deal? And what do I need to look out for when I go view it?

Sorry about all the questions but I need unconfusing if thats even a word 😳

Any help much appreciated.

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

1.5 for the cheaper tax and better mpg, as for the price your always gonna have to spend more for the top spec tekna
use a site like motors or car gurus to check if your paying too much, also the car with 92k on the clock check the mot history online 1st if you know the car reg, that way you can see what work it may have had done over the years.
Gooner4life
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Gooner4life »

That's weird. I've just done two insurance quotes on a 1.5 dci and 1.6dci Teckna and the. 1. 6 was £50 cheaper even though it's a higher insurance band?

As for the car 1.6 Teckna I've just checked the not and since Aug 2020 at 61k it's had these advisories until this year they were fixed in 2022 because they were not put down as majors in instead of advisories and put as a fail.

FAIL
Mileage
82,783 miles

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))
Offside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))
Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))

It passed in 0ct 2023 with the following advisories

Expiry date
18 October 2024
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge inside edge (5.2.3 (e))
Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

What do you guy's think? I is it worth it?
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

No reason why it shouldn't be ok then just get 4 new tyres if you do buy it after the test drive of course. Make sure they have the locking wheel nut and 2sets of keys 😉