My Qashqai will not self regenerate

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
JamesQashqai1983
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by JamesQashqai1983 »

Two years ago my DPF completely failed. It had become clogged and I had to buy a new DPF and various other bits to a cost of over £3500. Despite this, and sensors being replaced since, my car will not self regenerate. I have had the AA out several times to auto regenerate my DPF. There are no errors but my car will still not regenerate by itself. Do you know what is causing this and what I can do? I have a 2012 1.5 diesel.

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Are you doing short driveing trips all the time
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

andy2019 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:40 am Are you doing short driveing trips all the time
I found out on my other diesels that once it started you have to keep it the car going until clears mine was 16 mins or all it does is start again until it blocks you don't need to blast down the road just try to keep revs above 2000 rpm I now drive petrol and stay between 2000 and 3500 in any gear
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Lawrence 2
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Lawrence 2 »

My 1.6 Petrol 2009 Nissan qash qai fuel does not come up to enjoin, I changed the fuel pump under back seat, still not coming up
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

JamesQashqai1983 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:34 am Two years ago my DPF completely failed. It had become clogged and I had to buy a new DPF and various other bits to a cost of over £3500. Despite this, and sensors being replaced since, my car will not self regenerate. I have had the AA out several times to auto regenerate my DPF. There are no errors but my car will still not regenerate by itself. Do you know what is causing this and what I can do? I have a 2012 1.5 diesel.
Welcome.

I haven't a clue but the J10 model does seem to cause many more problems than the J11.

Have a search on here for similar instances.

From another place this popped up:

Hi, is this qashqai j10 (up to 2014) or the newer shape j11 2014 onwards? If it's the older j10 could be a few things. The main ones we used to come across were the plastic air intake pipe on top of engine splitting on seam which caused dpf to block. The other mIn one was exhaust pressure sensor tube (metal pipe at back of engine) blocks with carbon and stops the sensor reading correctly and thus not allowing dpf to Regen. Turbo actuators can also go due to top turbo hose dripping oil on to actuator diaphragm. Need more info really like a diagnostic dtc
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

I'd check everything that Gloucester has just posted above and if everything checks out and theres no performance issues or no dtc's that reoccur apart from p2002 due to it being blocked then it may be that the regeneration fail counter is at its maximum.

On the j11 if you perform a forced regeneration then it would reset the fail counter automatically but on the j10 if you do a forced regen you then have to also reset the counter with the tool you used to perform the regeneration

connect consult 3 plus (probably don't have this so another bi directional scan tool would do if it has the capability or take it to someone who has consult 3 plus) and check in live data under REGEN FAIL what the counter is reading, if it's reading 255 then that will be why it won't regenerate by itself, as this counter needs to be reset

To reset it, in work support, carry out AFTER DPF REGENERATION, this will then reset the regeneration fail counter to 0 and the system will essentially be "re initialised" for a better term, its best to do it after performing a forced regeneration.

This may not be your issue but I have come across this once before where I had a j10 that had just been sold to a customer and it came back in with p2002, carried out a forced regen and it came back within 2 days after travelling around 150 miles if I recall correctly. And this was the issue I hadn't reset the counter, I reset the counter and without performing a forced regeneration I took it out on the road whilst monitoring live data with consult 3 plus and it started to regenerate by itself

Another thing, if it's coming up with service due it won't regenerate either, dpf regeneration is prohibited

Also some dtc's can have fail safes attached to them which one of them can be dpf regeneration prohibited hence you need to check for any other reoccurring dtc's
JamesQashqai1983
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by JamesQashqai1983 »

Thanks for your response.

I have bout a TopDon ArtiDiag 500S as I was hoping I could do a forced regen but I can't seem to get it to work. It did at one point say something about not being able to communicate with the ECU.

I can't seem to get anywhere with and and if I clcik 'After regen' I get an other error message to say the vehicle is not in test condition. I will see if I can reset the DPF fail count but I am not sure I have been able to see live data.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I did over 30,000 miles in a Juke 1.5 dci and again in a Qashqai 1.5 dci and never witnessed any sort of regeneration.
I guess I don’t understand, therefore, how you can tell ?
I read, in 2014, when I bought my Juke that running the car at 2500rpm for at least 20 minutes would keep the DPF healthy and I followed that advice every 4 weeks or so (despite doing regular motorway running)
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)