Timing Belt Changed and the Problems began

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
craig.sharp1979
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by craig.sharp1979 »

Good Morning All,

I have a 66 plate 1.5 DCI qashqai and until the past few days really liked the car....

I had my timing belt and water pump changed on Wednesday last week at John Clark Nissan, upon completion they dropped my car off at my workplace. I drove 35miles home from work Wednesday. Was on holiday on Thursday and drove nowhere. Then on Friday made the 70 mile round trip for work and all seemed ok (except from the car sounding a little different than normal, but assumed it was the belt bedding in). Car was parked up until Sunday Morning where I made a 5 mile roundtrip to the golf course.

On my way back from the golf course I received an auto stop/start fault message. Had a quick look online and it suggested that the battery maybe low on charge, a loose or corroded connection and in rare cases the alternator. (Having used a battery tester today the connections seem ok and corrosion free)

I never used the car for the rest of the day.

This morning (Monday) I drove to work not too concerned about the stop/start function. But as the journey ensued with cruise control active the car kept randomly lurching, then accelerating and decelerating and switching as the auto stop/start error kept reminding me it was there. Then sprayed the windscreen to clear and noticed the wipers were moving slower than usual. A few miles later the ABS warning light activated, A few miles after that the Power steering warning light switched on and the power steering was deactivated (forgot how hard it was to drive without power steering). Then Air con, heating and radio switched off. I have made it to work but unable to apply the electronic handbrake so have had to leave it in gear so it doesnt wander off while parked.

My initial thought was battery not charging but using a battery tester from our maintenance team its reading 11.65v (assuming I'm using it correctly of course.

Could this be related to the timing belt/water pump change? or is it mere coincidence? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

i may well be the batt, any good garage will be able to test it for you free of charge and let you know if it`s ok or not.
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

I agree with Andy, sounds like a failing battery.
I believe that 11.6 volts sounds a wee bit low.
Should ideally be over 12v with ignition off then rising to between 13 to 14v with the engine running.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
craig.sharp1979

Post by craig.sharp1979 »

Thanks all. Had to call the RAC and immediately identified it as a failed alternator. I was towed to an auto electrician and alternator replaced.
and all was fine. Until last night and confirmed this morning.

Cruise control randomly switched off driving home last night. Then refused to reactivate. Then same again this morning where cruise control refused to activate . Acceleration kept backing off to the point where I am losing speed and accelerating power when on an uphill slope, From the flat and as the road levels out again accelerates better but not very responsive.

I have made it to work, but I expect the drive home will be much and such the same. I'll test the battery once again at lunch time.

Does this sound like the battery is on its last legs after all?