Correct Procedure for switching off XTRONIC

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
theogmike

Post by theogmike »

Hi everybody!I am the happy owner of a new 1.2 dig-t CVT XTRONIC model delivered to me yesterday. When the car was delivered the dealer explained that when switching the engine off, I should follow a certain procedure, but for the life of me, I cannot remember the order!!!It was either:(A) Shift the gear lever to PARK first, then engage HANDBRAKE and then switch the engine off with Start/Stop button, OR(B) Engage HANDBRAKE first, then shift gear lever to PARK and then switch the engine off with Start/Stop button.Can anyone confirm which is the correct order, or if it matters at all? Thanks in advance!< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
theogmike2015-02-25 21:59:48

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I don't think that I have ever engaged the Handbrake, never parked on a hill of course. So, I agree with (A) In fact I don't think you get a choice you have to be in 'Park' before it will allow you to switch off (not in it at the moment so I might be wrong it does tend to be totally automatic (sic)
PeterL2015-02-18 19:43:28
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Amos

Post by Amos »

Put it in P and press the start/stop button. The hand brake will come on automaticly.
If you stop the engine when the lever is not in P you get a message on the dash asking you to put it in park
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

My handbrake doesn't come on automatically.............are you sure?
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Don't think mine does either...
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Manuals come on automatically when you switch of ignition.... are auto's different?
Amos

Post by Amos »

Mines a auto and the handbrake comes on automatically when I turn the engine off and releases automatically when I pull away
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

My handbrake definitely doesn't come on automatically. Sometimes when I forget to apply it I can feel the car rock back and forth gently as I take my foot off the foot brake to get out of the car. That then reminds me to put the handbrake on.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="SplanK"]
Manuals come on automatically when you switch of ignition.... are auto's different?[/QUOTE] Mine certainly is (different) along with Steve's but not Amos it seems who must have had one from a gear-shift car fitted Out of interest what are the opinions on not bothering to use the handbrake on a 'parked' automatic?
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

Aussie spec may be different, but on my auto the handbrake didn't come on automatically by default.In the user manual it lists that it does on the manuals, but not on the auto's and to see your dealer if you wanted it changed.On the first checkup service I had the dealer adjust this through their computer so that it does.Apparently it's not an end user setting you can change on your own, but you can definitely have this changed by the dealer using their consult software.