Burning smell at idle, oil in intercooler

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Foulkesey

Post by Foulkesey »

Hi guys, please forgive me as I know I've read a lot about this topic, but i suppose I am in denial.
I have recently brought a 2011 1.5dci, 27000 miles. I initially thought I had an oil leak, oil was changed in a service just before I bought it. After 2 weeks the oil level was at the bottom of the dipstick(unfortunately I did not check this apart form when I bought the car). There was also oil all over the engine compartment and trays(but this looked dirty, by this point the oil wasn't black on the dipstick but was on the trays). I cleaned all the oil up and could not find a leak apart form oil dripping from the intercooler pipe above the fan. It looked like it was running down the fan and intercooler. There was some gravy like residue in the pipe. I cleaned this up and topped up with 5w 40 and I have been driving it for the last 2 weeks, foot down as much as possible. The only smoke coming from the exhaust is black when flooring it(not visible to me but the car behind). Also there is a smell of burning when idling after a 20 minute drive. In the last week the oil level hasn't really gone down, I will check tomorrow as it will be two weeks since I topped up. So I looked inside the intercooler pipe today post turbo and found a lot of gravy like oil, and a thin mist of clear/black oil pre turbo side. Is this a turbo problem? If so what is required to repair and how ku high you think it will cost? Sorry for such a long post, I'd be greatful for info.
Thanks Joe

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

All I can add is I had oil covering a petrol engine I had once. It turned out to be a blocked engine crank case breather pipe.
However, this was years ago & today's engines are all return everything (green) so the breather on your engine will be connected to the air intake somehow, but it would be worth looking into.
Good luck