1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
bigk

Post by bigk »

For the "technicians" amongst you, is a compression test a fairly definitive way of checking if there is a problem with the engine and a cause of excessive oil usage or is it not as simple that? How unequal does the cylinder pressure have to be for them to declare that you need a new engine?
There seems to be engines using a large amount of oil requiring engine replacement, engines using no oil at all and engines (like mine) using more oil than you would normally it to use yet Nissan refuse to formally acknowledge that there is any kind of problem with the 1.2Dig-t engine!
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017

g4l

Post by g4l »

I have a Qashqai with the 1.2 engine, bought from Arnold Clark just under a year ago. They serviced the car, which was 8.5 months old, before I took it away.

I've had an intermittent knocking noise for a while now and took it to my local Nissan dealer yesterday to look at this. They told me that the oil was "very low" and they had experience of this same issue with other cars - low oil causing engine noises. They topped up the oil and we will see how it goes. I've not put oil in a car for over 20 years so hadn't even thought about checking the oil - no warning light was showing, but I see with this problem that is the norm. This all lead to me finding this thread.

My question? My car is due a service next week. the car came with a 2 year Arnold Clark service plan. I have booked it into my local Arnold Clark (less than 5 minutes walk from home) but this is non Nissan. I'm just wondering if it might be wise to cancel this service and book it in to AC Nissan, which is 20 miles away. Any views or advice welcome.
Stoopaman

Post by Stoopaman »

In response to what I'm going to get next! It definitely won't be a Nissan I'm thinking about ordering the new focus rs which scores a point with my Mrs as she wants a five door and I want power back as I used to drive high power evos and imprezas before we had kids! I am noway a ford fan though before anybody judges me lol!!
The Juke's 1.2 dig t oil loss and fuel consumption has resulted in me spending just as much as what I was in an impreza!
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I was at our Nissan Dealer here in Berlin today and raised the question about the Oil Losses and Engine replacements with the Service Mgr. He stated that he has not heard of any comments related to these problems from Customers and I asked if there was any statement from Nissan on this matter - Answer was No !. But I would assume not many people check oil levels these days !
Our QQ has now done just over the 6440 km mark and I made a point of checking the Oil level before I drove to Nissan the level has not moved from the Max level which is good for us. The Problem some of you Guys are having must be Heart Breaking and I hope things get sorted for you Sooner rather than Later - Dave :(
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
skeema

Post by skeema »

After the second service oil consumption for my QQ 1.2/DIG-t was monitored. It came out that engine was using 1 litre of oil per 2200 miles. Local dealer reported this to Nissan, and I got reply that they won't do anything here as it is below the reference limit stated in manual. I'm extremely pissed off now and already looking for a replacement car.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

So, almost a month since I last checked my oil and last posted (it has been a very busy month for me at work and home).

Checked oil level: just a smidge under the full marker at 18,000 miles still. This is acceptable for me so it does seem as though my loss has now gone.

Nissan: Despite my loss stopping (could it be they did something when the car was in, I know the oil was not changed as it was still blackish but was topped up), I am still perusing Nissan dealer and Nissan GB directors office. Dealer is being proactive and chasing the tech bulletin on my behalf, still no joy. My new contact (apparently the last one left) has stated that they hope to have it out soon but are doing some last minute tweaks.

I have not told my dealer about the stop in loss yet as I want to get the details of this bulletin to help others and in a way, to help the dealer with their other customers.

But I do question why my loss has suddenly stopped since the last visit. It has lost a very small amount, but no where near what it was. Could it be a natural stoppage (IE piston rings finally bedding in fully), or has the dealer done something. The dealer didn't have it long enough to do anything major. I doubt adding 1L of thicker oil would have stopped it like it as so the only thing I can think off is some other sort of additive, but that's more back street garage type stuff, I just don't see this happening at a main dealer (could be very wrong here though!!)
Tom40my

Post by Tom40my »

Just for info mine was loosing oil at a rate of half a litre every 1000 miles which dealers say is acceptable I was topping up with 5w30 . last top up I used 5w40 and after 1000 miles no oil loss don't know if this is a one off it can't be that easy just changing to a different oil.will keep updating .700 miles to next check
2014 1.2 tekna magnetic red
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

This subject of which Oil Grade keeps raising it's head. Our 1,2 L Tekna QQ has always used 5w40 Oil definitely after it's 1st Oil / Filter Change done early @ around 800 Kms and no Oil was added either at it's 1st Service - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

The grade of oil could make a difference - don't know what your handbook says, but mine says 15w 40. I've done 6000 miles in my 1.2 so far, and it's only used a quarter of a litre. When I tried to get some oil for mine, the local dealer tried to sell me 15w 30, saying that's what they always use........

Needless to say, went elsewhere to get some 15w 40.
silverdave

Post by silverdave »

Had myQQ 1.2 petrol. Cvt for 2months and 1900 miles . When I first got the car reading this forum about oil lost, I was very concerned, So a trip to my Nissan dealer to obtain some oil just in case a sudden oil drop . Told the service/ parts department what model I had ( ie petrol) he came back with my 5 ltr But it was 5w- 30 DPF I quizzed him about the DPF , IS that for diesel?. His reply was well we use it for all our engines when we do services. I took his word after all this is a Nissan dealer, and parted with £40 inc 10% off for buying my car there. Two days later looking in the manual it says Petrol engine 5w-40 . makes you think twice about dealer service. So far I have not had to top up but will not use the oil the dealer sold me.
Last edited by silverdave on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol Auto panaramic roof , Gun grey. Nissan spare wheel.
Front & rear skid plates