My car seat won't fit - seat belt not long enough

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Coolio

Post by Coolio »

Ok firstly the car is great, very easy to drive and fab driving position.

There is one problem tho probably not affecting most ppl on here. Can't get the rear seatbelt around the little ones car seat!! It's not long enough.

What do I do? She'll out for another car seat? Noooooo!

Please help

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Do Nissan sell an extension strap maybe?are you sure though thought these things were standard sizes
Coolio

Post by Coolio »

[quote="Donkey"] Do Nissan sell an extension strap maybe?
are you sure though thought these things were standard sizes
[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will ask the question. Hadn't crossed my mind to be honest. The only check I did before purchase was does my push chair fit comfortably in the boot and how much space does it leave.

Looks like I made a school boy error missing the car seat check out!

Contigo

Post by Contigo »

What car seat is it? Rear facing? Forward? Make and model? I find it hard to believe that a belt won't go round a car seat!
Current Cars: QQ 1.5 DCi Tekna, Maserati 3200GT, Mini Cooper S

Coolio

Post by Coolio »

[quote="Contigo"] What car seat is it? Rear facing? Forward? Make and model?A 
I find it hard to believe that a belt won't go round a car seat![/QUOTE]

It's a rear facing one that came with the push chair we bought from Mothercare.

The brand is Mothercare. Had no problems with A3 I just had.

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

[quote="Coolio"] [quote="Contigo"] What car seat is it? Rear facing? Forward? Make and model? I find it hard to believe that a belt won't go round a car seat![/QUOTE] It's a rear facing one that came with the push chair we bought from Mothercare. The brand is Mothercare. Had no problems with A3 I just had. [/QUOTE]Although not helpful in terms of a response i'm amazed you didn't put the car seat in when you test drove it?I made sure all the family were in the car and the dealer was more than happy to let me put the seats in the car.Nissan will / should have a list of approved seats for the vehicle and it's always one of the things i check if i change car as it's the main family vehicle.I'd be wary of putting a seat belt extension on as you've no idea how it would react if the car gets in a shunt.Your best bet might be to source a different belt reel length and have it swapped out?
AlleyCat2014-03-25 09:12:48
Nissan no more...
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I was at dealers today and asked re thisI dont have kids or cant even remember last car seat I hadDealer pointed out use the Isofix points, most car seats have them and your QQ also has them fittedmuch easier and safer
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

When we bought the Micra, we test fitted a 0-1 (group 0??) year car seat and identified the same issue. In our case, we bought an ISOFIX base for the seat. In reality it made life MUCH easier than just using a belt.Now we are moving onto the next stage (Group 1?), we opted for a belted seat because of the Almera at the time did not have ISOFIX. Little did we know weeks later I would be ordering a QQ lol It also gives us flexibility in case we need to use the seat in another car where there is no ISOFIX.However the particular Group 1 seat we bought we tested fitted in the Micra and the way the belt travels there is more than enough slack, and test fitted into the QQ (I think its a MaxiCosi pearl)Do not use a seat belt extension on a childseat, it will not secure the seat correctly.It maybe the case that you need to purchase an alternative seat or go to mothercar to see if they sell ISOFIX base units for your particular car seat and put it down to "experience" and giddiness to get your new car!ISOFIX isn't "safer" than a correctly belted solution, however does make installation easier and less likely to incorrectly install.
SplanK2014-03-25 15:08:54
Coolio

Post by Coolio »

[quote="AlleyCat"] [quote="Coolio"] [quote="Contigo"] What car seat is it? Rear facing? Forward? Make and model?A 
I find it hard to believe that a belt won't go round a car seat![/QUOTE]

It's a rear facing one that came with the push chair we bought from Mothercare.

The brand is Mothercare. Had no problems with A3 I just had.

[/QUOTE]
Although not helpful in terms of a response i'm amazed you didn't put the car seat in when you test drove it?
I made sure all the family were in the car and the dealer was more than happy to let me put the seats in the car.

Nissan will / should have a list of approved seats for the vehicle and it's always one of the things i checkA  if i change car as it's the main family vehicle.

I'd be wary of putting a seat belt extension on as you've no idea how it would react if the car gets in a shunt.

Your best bet might be to source a different belt reel length and have it swapped out?

[/QUOTE]

I'm a relatively new parent so made a dangerous assumption about my existing car seat fitting in the same way as in my A3. Looks like I'm gunna have to shell out for an isofix type now?Y?±?Y?±?Y?±?Y?±
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

[quote="Donkey"]I was at dealers today and asked re thisI dont have kids or cant even remember last car seat I hadDealer pointed out use the Isofix points, most car seats have them and your QQ also has them fittedmuch easier and safer[/QUOTE]A lot of the "system" car seats (the 3 in 1 buggy, carseat,pram type) are not isofix compliant or if they are it requires the purchase of a seperate "base" at a couple of hundred pounds.I'm fairly certain, assuming mothercare hasn't changed in the last 5 years, that their "graco" inspired systems will be "belt" only, even with the optional base.The centre rear seat won't have isofix either.It's incredibly flippant of a dealer to suggest someone pay several hundred pounds on a car seat, buy a new buggy and chuck away the expensive 3 in one system because the seatbelt is shorter than expected.The original poster, in my opinion, should have tested it before buying, but at the same time it would help if seatbelt reels were a standard length.I know, from several years ago now, there were two cars i was looking at that i didn't buy as the car seats wouldn't phsyically go through the door opening and another was rejected due to "buckle crunch" which meant the seat would not be safe in an accident.When a lot of cars are "much of a muchness" in price, specification and the like telling people to throw away expensive kit isn't going to sit well.The yeti i have now, which is about to be traded out, only just made the grade with regards to the seats fitting.My other suggestion to the poster would be to use the front seat, pushed right back and de-activate the airbag (if that's a practical alternative for the way the car will be used?)It's also possible that in 6 months time the seat might need replacing anyway, depending on the age of the child in question and it could be a mute point.Edit: sorry coolio i couldn't remember your handle when i posted this.
AlleyCat2014-03-25 15:19:09
Nissan no more...