Merc with i key theft caught on video

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, perhaps I read these articles wrong or misunderstood them as what is mainly mentioned is “Stealing” or “Stolen” vehicles. Agreed anyone can smash a window and these days it seems the vehicles “can” be driven away as mentioned by the “Professionals”. Is this ”Scaremongering”, not really it is fact and most likely a concern for owners. For me it is a concern and an inconvenience if our QQ is Stolen - loss of vehicle, no car, possibly stripped, agro of the Insurance, payouts, car needed for disability reasons etc..... - Regards Dave 🤨
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here is a “What Car” video to follow up the report. Below the video was a couple of comments the first is what I used to do in the UK before the Electronic Wizardry came in - Dave 😁
How to steal a car in 10 seconds (and how to keep it safe) :

D9992CA3-7DBC-4F11-A4D1-5E1C3A9E7D93.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

I posted this in March and now there is an update on this Bosch Keyless System which might be worth a read just to inform what’s around - Dave
https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8266&p=66223&hilit=Bosch+keyless#p66223

CDC0A291-3CC8-4FFE-8D17-9944C99C0D51.jpeg

Perfectly keyless for passenger cars :
https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com/en/products-and-services/passenger-cars-and-light-commercial-vehicles/connectivity-solutions/perfectly-keyless/

Bosch system is the “key” to preventing digital car theft :
https://www.bosch-presse.de/pressportal/de/en/bosch-system-is-the-key-to-preventing-digital-car-theft-179142.html
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Article is about Mercs with factory trackers, but the following is added in a side panel

Thieves target keyless Fords:
Ford cars are top targets for thieves – at least in the West Midlands.
A total of 1,557 have been taken this year – more than treble the 489 stolen in 2015, according to the region’s police and crime commissioner David Jamieson.
He criticised manufacturers for failing to tackle keyless entry thefts, saying ‘progress’ was ‘far too slow’.
Ford said: ‘We have new security on the Fiesta and Focus keyless fobs which block illegal hacking.’

Tough on current owners though! (like Nissan and others)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7373639/Mercedes-admits-cars-fitted-secret-sensor-pinpoint-location.html

And

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7373633/Fords-stolen-car-brand-police-chief-calls-motor-industry-tackle-crime.html
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, I only posted this out of interest for the Bosch System and was not specifically Car Manufacture related. I have just commented on another post on the MB Tracking System if of interest - Dave 😏
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

DaveBerlin wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:44 pm Colin, I only posted this out of interest for the Bosch System and was not specifically Car Manufacture related. I have just commented on another post on the MB Tracking System if of interest - Dave 😏
I was on about the general keyless pestilence Dave...where's the MB comment of yours. My son has a 5 yr old C63 that he heard MB charges about £600 to initiate for personal tracking. He knows its used when calling MB support...they always know where u are.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here we go again - Dave 😉

Thieves use keyless hack to steal a £90,000 Tesla in under 30 seconds : https://mol.im/a/7380763
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Saw that Dave and while I had been following an american chap and friends rebuild flood damaged cars with donor Teslas in the US. Youtube link to a very revealing (semi mad) story below, about such rebuilds, and the Tesla company itself...the customer policy stuff.

In the US all Tesla cars are under the direct control of Tesla HQ....sort of telematics with aggravation. They'll cut you off driving in more ways than one rather sharpish. First to go is likely the super charge ability and your charging reduces to many hours from minutes. Range severely limited. Don't know how Tesla behaves (in the background) in UK/EU but nicking a Tesla might be a short drive for the thief. Tesla only sells their spares and in the US does not have dealerships. So you can get strangled through their HQ on anything. Their exists the self/independent servicing issue...state or fed laws.

The theft here is likely for parts I suspect and thats an issue in itself as the videos below show? Should think that car is being tracked? The 2nd hand market needs to watch out and thats apart from freaking batteries. 8 year guarantees abound as with multiple law suits on Musk.

I note while watching this chaps videos as he tears down the Tesla cars that a number of the electronic modules (body control, converter etc) are Made in England. I am wondering if there are any Nissan e-freaks around?

A lot of short vids in this guys playlist...fortunately. (Shows Tesla US as a major mess really.....quality is pretty poor)

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

Hopefully some good news on the keyless car theft front but only if you have one of the new vehicles tested by Thatcham Research :roll:
Manufacturers FINALLY fight back against keyless car thieves by using motion sensors in key fobs that block relay attacks, new vehicle tests reveal
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7655291/Car-makers-fight-against-keyless-crime-new-motion-sensor-tech.html?ito=link_share_article-factbox
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sandgrounder, that is encouraging news for some new owners, I wonder when Nissan will react, hopefully sooner than later - Dave 🤨