Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

ICE, Equipment, Options
mark_m
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by mark_m » Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 am

Hi,

I've noticed the black and yellow cable from the negative battery terminal is not connected to anything and any connection which was on the end of the cable has burnt off. Is it better to replace the cable or just fix a new ring connector to the existing cable?

Also, does anyone have a photo or able to describe where this should be connected to? I cannot see any visible markings under the car in the area the cable leads to where this would have been fixed.

Thanks in advance.


Daewar
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by Daewar » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Being as the whole car is negative earth, there should be no reason to connect another wire to earth from the battery. Chances are it will plug into a terminal / plug for something that does not have a direct connection to earth. If you have nothing failing and everything is working all fine, chances are that the car does not need that wire and it can be terminated.
mark_m wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 am
Hi,

I've noticed the black and yellow cable from the negative battery terminal is not connected to anything and any connection which was on the end of the cable has burnt off. Is it better to replace the cable or just fix a new ring connector to the existing cable?

Also, does anyone have a photo or able to describe where this should be connected to? I cannot see any visible markings under the car in the area the cable leads to where this would have been fixed.

Thanks in advance.
J11A 2016 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.


mark_m
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by mark_m » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I'm keen to fix this wire because I keep receiving electric shocks from the car when getting out after driving (I'm hoping this may fix this problem), plus also I had another smaller earth wire melt because a different earth wire wasn't connected.

For reference this is what the wire in question looks like;

Image


Daewar
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by Daewar » Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Ok, now I see the part its a lot clearer.

That looks like "THE" earth lead from the chassis to the negative of the battery. It looks like the other smaller wire was carrying all the current & has melted / burnt because this was not earthed. You need to stop driving your car until you get this wire correctly bonded from the battery to the car earth and then replace the smaller wire also.

12v will not give you an electric shock, but you may be getting shocked from the static electricity that forms over the outside of your car when you drive through dry air and step out of the car whilst in contact with the bodywork. If this continues you may want to get an earth bond strip that touches to the ground when your car stops. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=car+e ... ILI9JI0WM:
If your car is giving you electric shocks when it is wet or when you first get into it say after over night parking, then you need to get an auto electrician look at it immediately and dont use it.


mark_m wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm
Thanks for your reply.

I'm keen to fix this wire because I keep receiving electric shocks from the car when getting out after driving (I'm hoping this may fix this problem), plus also I had another smaller earth wire melt because a different earth wire wasn't connected.

For reference this is what the wire in question looks like;

Image
J11A 2016 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.


mark_m
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by mark_m » Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm

That’s the question, where does it fix to? I cannot see any clear fixing points. Do you have a photo?

Also, do I need to replace this cable with something like the below or can I just fix a new ring connector;
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... le-76cm-30


Daewar
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by Daewar » Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Iv'e never looked under the bonnet of a j10, but if your car is like mine, the connection will be under the battery holder. I'm sure someone with your model can point u in the right direction.

You can almost use any wire or crimp as long as the wire you use is of the same diameter / specification for the current as the original and it
Is correctly terminated with a good crimped connectors. When you do find the earth point on the car it is essential that it is clean and corrosion free so there is little resistance. Chances are you should see the original ring connector attached to the earth point.

mark_m wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm
That’s the question, where does it fix to? I cannot see any clear fixing points. Do you have a photo?

Also, do I need to replace this cable with something like the below or can I just fix a new ring connector;
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... le-76cm-30
J11A 2016 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.


mark_m
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by mark_m » Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Under the battery tray, good call - I’ll check there tomorrow. Looked everywhere around where the cable hangs to, but i suppose it could of fallen down.

If anyone does have the j10 model and knows if it is under the battery tray or elsewhere, feel free to chime in :-)


Thrall
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:44 pm
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by Thrall » Fri May 18, 2018 12:28 am

Sorry not to be more helpful, but on my J10 the heavy earth leads down in front of the battery tray through a narrow crack beside the inner wing, and it would take a fair bit of dismantling to find the ultimate destination. That's the starting point though. Best of luck.
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.


mark_m
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by mark_m » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am

So I checked under the battery tray and cannot see anywhere to fix the cable. On further inspection the cable is held with plastic clips down past the battery tray. There are a couple of bolts is the area the cable hangs to which could be loosened and hold a ring connector, but i'm not sure what these bolts are fixed to. Possibly the clutch housing? One of the bolts does have a blue tinge which matches the colour of the bare end of the cable, this could be a clue.

If I fix the cable to the wrong place would this cause a problem?

I've still scouring the web for a photo of the underside of a qashqai, can't believe this is so difficult to sort!


Daewar
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Battery Ground Cable Not Connected?!?

Post by Daewar » Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 am

The battery earth idealy should be fitted to the original place it came from as you cant guarantee every panel is sufficiently earthed. The engine is very well earthed with a braided wire that usually looks like this https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=of ... Em_jeNJnsU, so if you were struggling you could attach your earth wire to where this is joined to the chassis. At the end of the day your earth wire is going to have to carry the engine starting current (this can be many amps) and all the other devices that need electricity. You need to get this right or you will get more problems.

You have not mentioned about the electric shock from your car after driving?
mark_m wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am
So I checked under the battery tray and cannot see anywhere to fix the cable. On further inspection the cable is held with plastic clips down past the battery tray. There are a couple of bolts is the area the cable hangs to which could be loosened and hold a ring connector, but i'm not sure what these bolts are fixed to. Possibly the clutch housing? One of the bolts does have a blue tinge which matches the colour of the bare end of the cable, this could be a clue.

If I fix the cable to the wrong place would this cause a problem?

I've still scouring the web for a photo of the underside of a qashqai, can't believe this is so difficult to sort!
J11A 2016 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.


Post Reply

Return to “Electronic systems”