Auto gearbox surging

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, Many thanks for posting these Aussie Videos on the the DCT Auto Gear Box certainly an eye opener on the “Pluses” & “Minuses” but at least it has informed me on what to expect and it does use Electronics. It seems that he Slags Off the VW Design / Fixes & the Ford Power Shift DCT’s. What was interesting for me was the comments on : 1. Fuel Economy 6-10% 2. Performance 4-6% 3. Fast Gear Changes. I have now driven a couple of QQ’s with the DCT Box / 160PS and I must admit I was impressed with the acceleration and smooth changes, now for the future hopefully without problems on the Renault Box - Dave ✅😉

Well worth a read for QQ DCT Gearbox Owners 🧐
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Hi Dave...I don't know much of the DCT history because I ignore vast complexity purely on cost grounds. The Ford and VW stuff goes over my head. He has many other vids on cars in Straylia and critical of them....often. He fairly liked these boxes.

He'll slag off drivers/dealers/authorities as well.

I had a V6 Chevrolet Impala overseas and that 3 speed Auto was simple and very effective. Mind you a 5 litre engine was pushing it. I simply had to hold it on the pedal to stop it creeping or deselect. Simple really.
Last edited by calnorth on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Comment from VW owner on those vids:

"A lot of the problems I had with my 7-speed VW DCT (DQ200) could actually attributed to the low quality dual-mass flywheeel. The shifts themselves were great and the shift logic was perfectly right about 90% of the time. At least for the first 20000 km, that is. After that, the DCT controller decided it would be a good idea to have both clutches engaged in shift overlaps from time to time, resulting in massive shift shocks. And that's when the fun began. Software updates, new controller, new clutch packs, you name it. Luckily, I bought the warranty extension for a thousand bucks".
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

As CVT & DCT Auto Gearboxes were mentioned on this post this comparison might be worth a look at for some - Dave 😊

What is a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)? : https://www.booths.com.au/blog/what-is-a-dual-clutch-transmission-dct/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Foffer
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Foffer »

I had an Octavia with a DSG gearbox which drove like a dream, with same fuel consumption as the manual. Apparently they unfairly got a bad name with cabbies but a Skoda mechanic told me it was always because the oil hadn't been changed every 40,000 miles. This was a little costly so it often got missed. After 100,000 miles and two oil changes mine still drove like new. The oil gets contaminated and degraded by the clutches which run in the oil.

I must admit I don't know what is the maintenance requirements for my 1.3 DCT gearbox, I assume the oil will need changing in this at some point.

I find that the gearbox is very smooth, difficult to notice any gearchanges unless you have your foot down and I notice that the engine speed at which the gearbox picks up varies when it is cold so it allows the faster engine idle without driving the car forward.

In the late 60's I had a Vauxhall Cresta PC 3.3 with a ridiculous 2-speed Powerglide gearbox which was really meant to be mated to a large american V8. Pulling away felt more like starting in third! On full power the change to second came at 65mph and of course this also meant you could go backwards amazingly fast!

I also had a Jaguar XF with a rotating auto gearbox selector knob instead of the normal forward/backwards lever. Unfortunately I found that I must have the rotary equivalent of not knowing your right from your left and when parking countless times found Park instead of Drive!
Current car: 2021 Qashqai Tekna+ DIG-T MHEV CVT
Previous car: 2019 Qashqai Tekna+ 1.3 DIG-T 160 DCT
Wbridger

Post by Wbridger »

We have the same issue with our 2019 1.3 auto. I'm going to ask the Nissan dealer we brought it from to investigate, car has 15000mls it also has a high idle from start up hot or cold(approx 1500rpm for a couple of minutes after starting)which makes pulling away a problem.
Its definitely not auto creep, I've owned automatic cars for 40yrs and none have had these problems.
Wbridger

Post by Wbridger »

Thought I would update this thread, I took the vehicle to the dealers for a service, the jolt when coming to a stop had got worse it also developed a judder when moving slowly in traffic or when setting off uphill from a standing start, I hadn't realized how bad it had got as I rarely drive the car, my wife uses it, I prefer our 2014 Juke or my MGTF, I digress, I informed the dealer of the problems, they test drove it, and drained some transmission fluid, this was found to be full of swarf and other contaminants from the gearbox internals. I was informed the gearbox required replacement, luckily the vehicle is still under warranty, gearbox was replaced and the car has been transformed, the gearbox must have been shot when we purchased it with 15K on the clock, it now has 25K, cost to dealer £8.5K(supply and fit) Nissan cannot give a reason why it failed and will not give a warranty on the new gearbox past the existing 3 months remaining manufacturers warranty, I have also found out the previous owner of the vehicle was Enterprise car rental! to say I'm fuming is an understatement as we purchased the car from a main dealer with a stated 1 owner and full history, we were not informed of its past usage/ownership and can only assume the gearbox failure is because of past misuse. the vehicle is in pristine condition so again was probably repaired prior to sale from Enterprise. Needles to say I have an ongoing complaint case with Nissan Uk, I will update once a solution is agreed. Beware of main dealers selling Ex rental cars purchased at auction, by law they have to tell prospective purchasers if the vehicle has been a lease or hire car in a previous ownership, we were not informed of its past hot rod life.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Good that you've got a result.

I only found out that my car was an ex-Hertz one when completing the documentation. It appeared on the V5C. You should have seen that? Admittedly they merely said "one owner" in the sales info.

Mine was actually fine apart from the wheels. They were really kerbed and three were replaced when I pointed out that the photos in the sale advert we're of the actual car - despite being tagged with its registration number.

The auto-box issue is a general problem and unlikely to be affected by it having been a hire car. Many others haven't been. In fact auto hire cars probably get better treated than manual ones.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Wbridger

Post by Wbridger »

In response to the comments by Gloucester, the car was purchased from a main Nissan dealer, we never saw the V5, by LAW dealers need to inform potential buyers if the car has been a rental, had I have known this I would never have purchased it. The gearbox issue has affected just short of 1000 vehicles and is made worse by misuse, if your happy with your car having many many different drivers that's ok, I'm not and I'm well aware that having just one driver can still be subject to abuse, but I'd like to think if someone was spending a considerable amount of money on a vehicle they would look after it. The fact your wheels were damaged point to misuse in my world!
Steveo121

Post by Steveo121 »

I have the same problem, It is a bit dangerous really, when you slow down to a crossing, roundabout or junction etc as you let the brake off slightly it lunges forwards as if you have put your foot on the throttle.
It has been back to a Nissan main dealer and they reprogrammed the gearbox and said I would have to drive it for around 1,000 miles and it should be okay, Anyway after 600 miles it started doing again.
It is very intermittent it may do it once or twice a week then next week do it 10 times. I have reported it to the main dealer who is going to be in-touch.